Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Online text messaging Help

• Please log in to reply

leenga

leenga

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Help

Is there a way to send a text message using one of the free online services when, for example, I'm told to text the word "Phil" to 8917 on your verizon wireless phone?

I dont have verizon wireless and was hoping to use a free online text messaging service, but the free services require sending to a 10 digit phone number.

Any suggestions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggestion 1:

you can text to verizon customers through www.vtext.com

Didn't work, got

* Send To address is invalid. Please check the length of the number.

it seems they also require 10 digit numbers

i know the address is valid because it did work through my cell phone, but i'm trying to find a free way to do it

Suggestion 2:

google mobile text service

Didn't work:

i don't see how that will let me send a text message as in my example. that link is pretty much just a way of doing a search from your cell phone, right? am i missing something?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the reason that they say "text such and such to such and such from your verizon phone" is because the contest or offer is only for verizon customers...and you can ONLY enter the contest or recieve the offer from a verizon phone...if they were to say "text such and such to such and such from any cellular phone" then you could use a free service MAYBE...but with the number restrictions i doubt it

another reason you can't do this is because if you're entering a contest, or trying to recieve an offer (like a ring tone or something like that) the recieving number (the one you're texting too) has to have an actual phone to track an account to...that way if you win...they'll know who you are and how to give you your prize...or how to give you the offer

leenga

leenga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i just thought that there maybe some way around it like sending an email to 8917@vtext.com

or that there were "known" numbers that go in front to make it a 10-digit number

Edited by leenga, 01 September 2006 - 12:22 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what exactly are you trying to do?

leenga

leenga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i'm trying to vote for a particulate contestant on a tv show

the instructions state

Text the word "Phil" to 8917 on your verizon wireless phone

I was able to do it using my tracfone
but I was hoping there was a way to do it via a free online text messaging service, or some other way that would be free and not use my minutes on my phone

you would think there would be a way to do it from verizon's text site at www.vtext.com - but I couldn't find a way

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
no...there's no real way to do it from the web texting stuff...because they track where the votes are comming from so that they don't count the same vote 12 times

alot of those shows allow you to vote from their websites though