Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dumb question: Can these safely be used as standoffs?

• Please log in to reply

kr580

kr580

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Posted Image

See the bumps in the back of the motherboard space? Next to the PS/2 ports and the bottom PCI slot? There's 6 of em and they go to a point to meet the screwholes on the motherboard. These are built-in standoffs, correct? I'm assuming so but I don't want to fry my brother's birthday present. :whistling:

Thanks - Kevin

Advertisements

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Well, I put it all together and it's still working. If something was badd it would short out pretty quickly, correct?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Yes, if your mobo was grounded you would have known very quickly. With a flash of light and a puff of smoke. lol

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Yes, if your mobo was grounded you would have known very quickly. With a flash of light and a puff of smoke. lol

Haha, cool. Thanks for the confirmation.

kr580

kr580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Oh, forgot to ask. There's 15 screw holes on the motherboard but there's only 8 being used. Will it hurt any to not use the other 7 or should I try to get some more standoffs? The case only came with 2 standoffs to use with the 6 built-in ones.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

There's 15 screw holes on the motherboard but there's only 8 being used. Will it hurt any to not use the other 7 or should I try to get some more standoffs? The case only came with 2 standoffs to use with the 6 built-in ones.

the extra screw holes are there to accomodate for different form factors of motherboards....as long as the board isn't grounding and it's not able to wiggle arround in the case you're fine...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I might use some perspex or rubber washers to offer a little extra peace of mind with the built in stand offs. But i dont think you need to.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I might use some perspex or rubber washers to offer a little extra peace of mind with the built in stand offs. But i dont think you need to.

This is the safe way to do it. But the rubber washers are entirely 100% optional. I don't bother with them. I also don't bother with cable ties either, but each to their own.

As to standoffs, you only need as many holes as there are on the board itself. Therefore if it has seven (most boards have six-nine), you only need the raised standoffs + however many more are needed in the appropriate places. You don't need any where there isn't anything to sit on it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont usually use rubber washers but on a case with standoffs built into the tray i might, I do use cable ties or more often those twisty cable things. It makes a big difference to cooling sometimes and its far easier to work on and clean a tidy PC.