Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Slow Startup

• Please log in to reply

tonyr1988

tonyr1988

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
All of a sudden, it takes forever for Windows to boot up. I don't think it's from viruses or other malware (I've done lots of scans, and looked at my startup commands....don't see anything odd).

What happens is XP automatically logs me in (I'm the only user), and then I see my background screen for about a minute or two before the start bar and desktop shortcuts come up. What's weird is that it's doing stuff, I just can't see it. For example, today I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and told it to start up firefox. It started it up, and I even had access to my Wifi already.

This all started when I installed Symantec AntiVirus. Could that be causing it to start slowly? It's not a huge problem, but it's annoying and if it is something bad, I want it taken care of.

Symantec isn't doing a small scan or anything pre-boot, is it?

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I'm not sure if symantec does a scan before your computer starts but it might. Start>run>-type- ''msconfig''>go to the startup tab. Look in that list for something like ''symantec startup scan''. If it's there and it is selected and you think you don't need it, delete it from the list. Go through the entire list to see what you can disable to make your startup faster.

If you don't know what to delete, here is a list that could help you:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

tonyr1988

tonyr1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I'm not sure if symantec does a scan before your computer starts but it might. Start>run>-type- ''msconfig''>go to the startup tab. Look in that list for something like ''symantec startup scan''. If it's there and it is selected and you think you don't need it, delete it from the list. Go through the entire list to see what you can disable to make your startup faster.

If you don't know what to delete, here is a list that could help you:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Thanks a ton for the site - it helped tremendously. I disabled a bunch of stuff I don't want (no bad stuff, though, which is a plus :whistling:). There was something for Symantec, but it was for the system tray icon...no scanning. Upon restarting, it's still taking long. Oh well - it's not a big deal at all. I just load Firefox before the start menu. I'll get used to it.

Thanks again, and it is going faster than before.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Good to hear your machine is faster than before. But I don't think we're done quite yet.

I don't have any experience with Symantec Antivirus but have you looked around in it's settings for something like Symantec startup scan?

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
hello Tony I think you have a comfrict with the antivirus .
Did you remove the former antiVirus b4 you istall Synmantec ?

if you did not remove it go to control panel and go to remove programs
and remove the former antiVirus

an reistall Synmatec

Please let us know if this help

Edited by elmundo, 02 September 2006 - 03:15 AM.

tonyr1988

tonyr1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm still getting used to Symantec, but so far I can't find anything saying it's doing a startup scan.

The only antivirus I had before was AVG, and I uninstalled it before installing Symantec. Should I try to re-install Symantec and see if that works?

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
yes do it

Re-Re

Re-Re

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
My computer did that because Ihad so many programs that automaticaly started up when my comptuer srts up. I took all the programs off besides like two and it started up much quicker.

**i could be totaly wrong though**

Edited by Re-Re, 02 September 2006 - 01:29 PM.