Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everything (almost) Not Responding

• Please log in to reply

Babydoll3133

Babydoll3133

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello all;

I need help. I have several virus and spy detecters that tell me nothing is wrong, but when I try to use certain programs or download a file, the programs locks up and says "Not Responding". I can't even save an image file. At the present time, I can use my browser for surfing, but that's about it. This happens in both Firefox and IE, so I don't think it's browser related, especially since non-internet related programs also stop responding. (This morning I tried removing a few programs that I thought might have been the cause and the Add/remove feature stopped responding).

I have all the current windows updates, etc. Can't reload again without calling Microsoft :whistling:

I am running windows XP (Xtra Problems) with an athlon 64 3000+ 2.01 gHz- 1 gig mem

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

(This morning I tried removing a few programs that I thought might have been the cause and the Add/remove feature stopped responding).

Hi Babydoll. What programs were you trying do delete?

When did this start happening?

Babydoll3133

Babydoll3133

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Actually it started a few days ago, but I did something (nit sure what) and was able to download again. It started again this morning.

The programs that I tried to remove, both because they might have caused a problem or because I don't like them:

Altova XMLSpy 2006 Home, and a few other HTML editors, Karen's Power toy and a music player that came with my motherboard - I think that was all.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
You could try to roll back to the last known good configuration.

How do I start the computer using Last Known Good Configuration?

Follow these steps:

Remove all floppy disks and CDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Do one of the following:

If your computer has a single operating system installed, repeatedly press the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.

On the Windows Advanced Options Menu screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

If your computer has more than one operating system installed, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system that you want to start using Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

Babydoll3133

Babydoll3133

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Last good config didn't fix it, though once re-booted, windows defender popped up and said I had "market score" loaded. I guess I can say one good thing came of it. :whistling:

Anyway...I have several anti-virus programs loaded as well as several other anti-garbage things, so I'm going to try to decided which ones to keep. Read the page about having more than one loaded...didn't know that. Hoping that will work.

And if it makes a difference, I've also been having trouble with my sound. When I re-boot, I have to go into my sound driver software and "search" for my speakers. Though it isn't a problem actually, it's a bit anoying.

Perhaps I should just get rid of XP and go back to win2k...or linux....:blink:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Perhaps I should just get rid of XP and go back to win2k...or linux....smile.gif

Do you have your Windows XP installation CD? You could try a windows repair.

Babydoll3133

Babydoll3133

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, but that was going to be my last option. I was hoping that I could figure out what went wrong so I wouldn't load the same problem again.

Babydoll3133

Babydoll3133

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok...tried to repair xp and, you probably guessed it...the cd locked up and I got the old "Not responding" message again. I can't understand it. It just keeps getting worse and worse everytime I try anything. When I rebooted, it took forever for my icons to load.

Guess I'll HAVE to call Microsoft...again...to get a new number...again....I hate XP...

But thanks for your help, Emery. We tried... :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
How sacred are your files? Can you manage a re-install of Windows? not a repair but a full re-install?

Can you access Windows in Safe Mode? and do a clean-up with whatever prog that works in safe mode [not all do]?

Can you uninstall some "stuff" from the command prompt in "command prompt safe mode" on start up?

Do you have the XP startup Floppies? Have you tried to use them?

Bottom line, if all else fails, re-format the hard drive and start over fresh!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you should only have one antivirus program running any more can cause problems

make sure you have and download this

http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

and you show check on memory see if you need more

download these ok and run them

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

Babydoll3133

Babydoll3133

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok...yes, I have my xp cd and it was locking up when I tried to do a repair...it was even locking up in safe mode. Anyway....

After I ran the Panda scan, it found 2172 spyware entries. Most was for windows 95, so I hoped that wasn't it. BUT I remembered downloading a program called freepops. It was supposed to be an e-mail program, but once I loaded it, I was sidetracked and didn't try it.

Once I removed this program, everything seems to be running fine. I can download and upload files and my hard drive light isn't blinking all the time, as it was before. Not saying there is anything wrong with freepops, but it just didn't set right with my computer.

Thanks for all the help everyone has given me, and don't be surprised if I don't come back in the future.

And yes, I did get rid of the spyware things, so I won't have to worry about that either. :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
While it is sleeping let's sneak a few utilities in through the back door and do a complete system check of everything...a real house cleaning...

1. anti-virus...yes only one
2. anti-spamware...maybe a couple, as one often will miss what the other will not...I use three
3. anti-malware...same as above...I use two
4. complete hard drive check up
5. complete defrag of the hard drive
6. complete registry clean up and defrag
7. complete deletion of all unsued boring progs that you do not need or use any longer
8. toys...mp3 files...old back ups...temp files...etc.
9. degrag again and reg clean again
10. [now this part is for me only...my opinion only...but get rid of XP-SP2 and all updates...cache them away somewhere...why do you need them, if you have all the rest covered...they are there to cover MS's butt not yours]

Install and only install:

1. the best anti-virus prog you can afford...I use PC-cillin and have for years, or get AVG for free...before installing run PC-cillin's House Call, available for a run off their site...there are others but as I said, I am biased
2. the best anti-X progs you can afford...or get Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Windows Defender, etc. for free
3. the best registy editor you can afford...I swear by Registry First Aid, but there are others as well...
4. OPINION: no Norton products unless you are a real masochist and like to be ignored by Norton
5. allow windows to load progs into whatever place IT wants ...mind you, I am always diverting them somewhere else...I am an Explorer junkie and live there and in the registry
6. LOAD ONLY THOSE PROGS THAT ARE ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY AT ANY ONE TIME, THEN GET RID OF THEM WHEN NOT IN USE FOR MORE THAN A WEEK
7. and follow everyone else's suggestions for a faster, error free system
8. the more bells and whistles you have running the worse it will get, until you convince yourself that you do not need 3/4 of them...they are just resource hogs
9. daily maintenance...always degrag and clean your registry before shut down and put your #1 boot disk in the a:\ at the ready for problems on start up...I am a pessimist :whistling:

P.S.: I'm also a beta tester and have problems every day that often require drastic measures...so keep your back up disks at the ready at all times...and don't be afraid to beat your OS into submission... those disks are your best friends... :blink:

Edited by b1caez01, 02 September 2006 - 10:14 PM.