Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
I have a HP pavilion a320n and for some reason my HD is H: not C: When I try to install the audio and network card drivers the installation cannot continue because its looking for C: and the HD is H: Its saying it needs more space on C: to continue, but C: is some removable media for a card. Can I somehow change the name of HD to C:? or if not how can I install the driver? Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is c: always present in "my computer"? or just when the removable card is in?
if it's only there when the card is there...then take the card out and right click on my computer > manage > disk management> right click on the current G drive and choose change drive letter then change it to C

if the C is always present you will have to change C to something like j or whatever..then change G to C then change J back to something like 3 or f

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I changed the C: to Z: but I cannot change the HD H: to C: Its telling me windows cannot modify the boot volume...

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
It keeps telling me Windows cannot modify the drive letter of the HD which is H:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.petri.co...._windows_xp.htm

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ok I changed the drive name to C: but now when I restarted the PC it froze at the Welcome to Windows sign in the beginning. I tried restarting it again and does not go anywhere.

gamefr3ak

gamefr3ak

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
boot to safe mode? To do so tap the f8 key while booting

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if its a hp you got

if you look in all programs you should see pc help and tools and system recovery should be there your going to be able to do that and go back to the day your computer was bought ....you wont lose any files or data you have....but you will have to activate all programs and most importantly you will have to update windows....try this in safemode since you change your folder name it maybe your only option to do a system recovery otherwise you need to reformatt

Edited by rushin1nd, 01 September 2006 - 10:48 PM.

drlovemoose

drlovemoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I cannot recover using HP software or by pressing F10. How do I go back to an earlier state in Safe Mode?