Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PLEASE HELP! WORD FILES DAMAGED!

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Actually my friends job is.....
Recently, I went on her computer and noticed she had spyware on her system, so, I installed and ran spybot, cleaned it all out, immunized the compouter and everythin. Then I did a CCleaner, and Cleanup! on her computer. Now, she tells me that her husband cannot open his files that he uses for work. and they are normal, non-encrypted, Word 2003 files. When opened, the text appears garbled.....first a dialog box comes up saying convert file, and any option you choose leeads to symbols and spaces, and no words. This ONLY happened to his files, and they say that their date modified is the same time that i was on their comp. We tried repairing the file, and the text recovery tool, but nothing works. PLEASE HELP IMMEDIATLY....Thank You in advance

Edited by interpolarity, 03 March 2007 - 10:10 PM.

Advertisements

Sha2

Sha2

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi interpolarity
Don't know about this but it cant hurt to try a system restore. I'm not an expert on office files but if nothing else turns up i would give it a go. Good Luck.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi Interpolarity,

There are many different ways to try and recover a .doc

One of the first things you can try is save the damaged file in a different format such as .rft, .html or another word processing format and then open the newly formatted file and save as a Word document (change the name from the original, just in case). Then open the new saved Word document. Sometimes the file damage will correct itself in the conversion.

There is also a program called Kernel Word that helps with corrupted Word files, especially after a virus/spyware attack. :whistling:

Edited by Jrenter2, 03 September 2006 - 03:01 AM.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
OK, I am still having the problem....they stopped talking about it since August, and now they really are concerned, cuz they can't fix it... and a system restore is too late...kernel word did NOT work....what should i do?

Edit: here is the file, maybe you can do something with it...

Attached Files

Edited by interpolarity, 25 February 2007 - 09:38 PM.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I don't want to rush you guys or anything...it's just that some of these files were time urgent apparently....

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
16 downloads and no response :whistling:

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hello interpolarity,

I know myself, I havn't been able to do anything with that file you attached. I had it formatted, but it was still just a garbbled mess. One last suggestion that I could make is to look for a temp file that was created. Otherwise, I myself am out of ideas on this.

Some temporary file names start with the tilde (~) symbol. To find these files, follow these steps:

1. In Windows, click Start, click Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
2. In the Search for files or folders named box, type ~*.*. then Click Search Now.
4. On the View menu, click Details and then sort by Date.
5. Scroll through the files for documents that match the last date that you edited the document.

I hope that this will possibly help you.

Good luck,

Jrenter2

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
thanx, I will try that! I'll let you know if it works...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Sorry missed the download - will try

Edited by peterm, 14 March 2007 - 01:20 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Can you create normal documents with word? if not and all documents look like the one you posted then try deleting the Normal.dot and restart word.
try our friends here
Word help

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
yes, in fact it was only files in a particular folder that were damaged