Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade to Windows 64-bit?

• Please log in to reply

The_Legend

The_Legend

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey all,

My system:
Athlon 64-bit 3200+
1 GB Kingston RAM (2x512MB)
ATI Radeon x800 Pro Video Card
ABIT KV8 Pro Motherboard
150 GB HD, 50 GB free space

After downloading Tuneup 2006, I ran through all of the options and was told that by upgrading my operating system I could see improved performance. I saw that Windows offered a free trial of Win XP 64-bit version, so I downloaded it and burned the CD.

Has anyone here tried this exact path? If so, what was your experience? Any precautions I should take?

If you don't recommend this trial version, should I just bite the bullet and buy the new OS? Is it worth it? Will it improve performance in my gaming? (That's the only reason I would upgrade it, gaming performance)

Is it worth the $140 dollar price tag? Or should I just pay $40 more and upgrade my RAM by buying 2x1GB sticks? Which option would improve performance the most?

Also, if anyone knows of a guide/walkthrough for installing this trial, could you link me up?

Thanks guys.

Advertisements

smalls101

smalls101

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
If i were you, i really wouldnt upgrade. Vista comes out in January and will already have 64 bit support. When it comes out companies will actually begin making programs that run on the 64 bit architecture. From what ive heard, even programs like iTunes currently dont run on xp 64. If you look around google, you can find all sorts of horror stories about trying to install this vastly unsupported OS. Vista is also only going to cost $100 for an upgrade when it finally comes out.