Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

msvcp60.dll error

• Please log in to reply

wilzn2

wilzn2

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I am trying to backup my hard drive using my external media driver. The program gets all of the way through the backing up process, but when it tries to verify/compare the back-up to the originals, it gets to the following file --- C:.....\\msvcp60.dll and gives me a error saying that the media cannot be read or contains an unknown media format.

Can someone tell me what this file is and what it does so I can figure out how to get around this error when backing up my hard drive?

If I need to post this in the forum for peripherals, please let me know. Thanks.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Its a runtime file which provides the guts for running any program file that needs it as an energy source...sort of! Anyway, it may need re-registering...find some software to reinstall a new copy into the system32 folder. I'd also dump a fresh copy in the dllcache folder as well, for good measure.

Check out this URL about re-registering Windows DLLs:

http://www.pcworld.c...nt/article.html

Example of a quote from this page:

"To restore this DLL, choose Start, Run, type regsvr32 /i [ENTER DLL FILE NAME TO BE RE-REGISTERED HERE... e.g. shell32.dll], and press <Enter> (see FIGURE 1). (The /i switch stands for "install.") A message tells you if the command worked. (You may need to restart Windows to see the effect.)"

Edited by b1caez01, 01 September 2006 - 10:56 PM.

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for your advice.

I tried your recommendation, but got the following error:

msvcp60.dll was loaded, but the dll Register Server entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered.

What does that mean, and now what do I do?

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
BTW,

I am also pursuing a topic in the malware/HiJackThis Log forum about freezing up in Windows. Now am trying to find out if this is also connected to the dll error.

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Here is the link to the topic in the malware forum.

http://www.geekstogo...s...pid=775199

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I just popped by for a minute...I am on my way out the door. Sorry...

Copy the error message down, and this goes for any error message...and then enter it in the search field at www.google.com or whatever...you will get other's problems with the same error message, and how it was handled.

There are progs that will tell you the "dependencies" for a given dll, or pretty much any other file...so that you can see which ones need to be reinstalled or deleted, as they might be the culprits.

Life is a lot better for users it they understand one simple concept...a computer is as blind as a bat and as dumb as a brick...it can only calculate! So, you have to do both its thinking and its "seeing." An OS, like Windows, tries to be both, its eyes and its brains...but sometimes it does not meet the challenge...basically that's when you have to step in and do those chores for it.

Don't be afraid of the computer...play with it, beat it up, challenge it to survive YOUR assault.

That being said, be sure that you have everything important saved to disks off the hard drive before you start tinkering.

Got to go...I'm being nagged :whistling: Will be back later in the day.

Edited by b1caez01, 02 September 2006 - 09:39 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
...get resolved, while I was away...?

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thank you for checking.

I will have to run the back up software again and see if I have the same problem. I am having surgery this week, so I am unsure how soon I will be able to do this.

Can this topic please be left open until I am able to do that?

Thanks.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Good luck...I hope life is not imitating art, of in this case a computer :whistling: It will all turn out just fine :blink:

wilzn2

wilzn2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thank you for holding this topic open until I could reply.

I just tried to back-up the computer yesterday using the external media drive, and all went well.

Thank you for your help. This topic can now be closed.