Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to uninstall Firefox 1.5.0.6

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi folks, don't get me wrong I don't want to get rid of Firefox. I've come thru IE and Opera and Firefox is the best and is so so addictive!

It's just that there's this beta version out and I put it on to test it. It's great. The only thing is that I found out by installing the beta it didn't really touch the older (the most updated official) version which is 1.5.0.6

As nice as it is, I don't really want to have two "foxes" in my computer :S

I tried uninstalling the 1.5.0.6 version with Windows Add/Remove and TuneUp Utilities' Uninstall Manager but no luck at all. It just sits there after I clicked on "uninstall" and don't do anything.

So, I tried uninstalling the version 2 beta and it went like a breeze.

I mean, what happens when the official version 2 come out? Do I still need to be stuck with the 1.5.0.6 version? I also tried reinstalling it and then uninstalling it and that didn't help either.

Please help :whistling:
Cheers

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi chinofeliz. why don't you do a system restore
to a date just before you installed it?
Hit,Start, all programs, Accessories, system tools, system
Restore, click on restore my computer to an earlier time, then
pick a date before the problem. then click next.

Edited by 4238dwight, 01 September 2006 - 06:08 PM.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi ya, thanx for the immediate reply :whistling:
Unfortunately, for concern for space and viruses I disabled System Restore since the day I got it so haven't got anything to go back to :S
I thought about that one but obviously in my case it's not viable.
Cheers :blink:

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Try MoveOnBoot.

http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

Move On Boot, deletes hard to delete files.
Requires reboot after you complete instructions.

3-step process.

1. Locate the name of the file that is causing your problem.

2. Decide if you want to copy, move or delete the file.

3. Choose a destination for moving the file, or a new file name for the
rename option (this option won't appear if you are deleting a file).

Click OK to confirm you want to process, then reboot.
hope that works for you.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You cant uninstall the orignal without uninstalling the beta you need to keep the normal released build on because Betas are testing software and much much more likely to have a failure so you need the normal version as back up its why its also installed in a seperate directory.

When version 2.0 is released it will be the main install in that directory, mind you ive gone of firefox ive got one of the alphas but to be honest im not going back from opera unless they can put in something special that Opera doesnt allready do or do better.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
So you mean when the official version 2 comes out it'll either uninstall or replace the current build? Sweet, I'll just wait for that one then. Cheers

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well itll update the released install, by the way they are both official just ones in beta stage testing. You will have to manually uninstall any betas/alphas you may have but the latest release always has priority over others on the system.