Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

After bad iPod install, Windows XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

Andy1119

Andy1119

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi. I used to have an older iPod, the last one without a color screen, and it worked with my computer fine. My girlfriend just got a new color, video iPod, so I was installing the software on the computer since it had a newer version of the iPod updater software. However, in the middle of the install, the installer froze up. I used the task manager to close the installer, but ended up having to restart. However, upon restart, the computer freezes at the Windows logo where the bar goes back and forth. I can still boot in safe mode.

I ran MSCONFIG, and tried a selective startup WITHOUT the system.ini file, win.ini file, services and startup items, but still had the same problem.

I also tried booting without the iPod dock plugged into the firewire port, but that made no difference.

Event viewer told me the following:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
Fips
intelppm
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
PCLEPCI
RasAcd
Rdbss
SYMTDI
Tcpip
WS2IFSL

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the AFD Networking Support Environment service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error:

At this point, I have no idea what to try, so anyone's help would be very welcome. Thanks a lot.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you check in device manager for updates

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
check your network adapters right click and update

Andy1119

Andy1119

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, I checked all drivers in the device manager, and 2 were updated (cordless mouse and usb controller). However, these changes didn't help, and my network adapter was up-to-date.

Thanks for your help, though :whistling:

Anyone else have any ideas?

Edited by Andy1119, 02 September 2006 - 01:33 AM.

Andy1119

Andy1119

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, I just realized that I could see hidden devices in device manager, which shows non-plug and play devices. All these devices were listed as fine except SYMTDI, which had an error. I disabled SYMTDI and rebooted, but still froze up and could only start safe mode. I also can now not re-enable the SYMTDI driver.

I also looked at the event viewer for the last few restarts, and noticed that now only a few drivers are mentioned:

Fips
intelppm
PCLEPCI
SYMTDI (not listed now, since disabled)

I'm just going to leave this alone until I get some more advice. I need to sleep anyway...

Andy1119

Andy1119

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Bumping this topic for more help. Thanks!