Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SD Card and SD Card Slot?

• Please log in to reply

R_johnson246

R_johnson246

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I ordered a new 2.0GB PQI SD Card last week and got it today. I put it in my laptop drive, and booted up my computer. I clicked My Computer and saw it labeled as E: Drive. I clicked it and it wanted me to Format the card. I formatted it as FAT because it kept failing when writing to Fat32 (which I later discovered the card cant handle Fat32). So Afterwards, I rebooted, then reclicked My Computer, and reclicked drive E:. When I did so, my computer instantly froze! I could only move the mouse and minimize and close that screen. THats. I CTRL+Alt+Del and closed My Computer and My documents (mysteriously opened without me knowing).

So I continued this same process 4 times, and if I let it keep going without control alt deleting, then it says "The file is corrupt or Unreadable. ???!
Now I am guessing that my generic SD drive needs updates. But am afraid of screwing something up so I wont try. I figured that the card was locked or something, but I tried it in 2 different positions, and the same result.

So I am asking now for your help PLEASE help me!!! What should I do??? :whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If possible use a digital camera to format the card. I have brought back many cards this way. Most camera's format in fat( which is really fat16)instead of fat32. You can try using this utility.

http://www.snapfiles...estoration.html

Lexar has a Image Rescue 2.0 software that they say works on other cards. It is not free.

http://lexar.com/sof...age_rescue.html

SRX660

R_johnson246

R_johnson246

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I actually dont own a digital Camera :whistling: yes I know "Im in the Dark ages" but the card doesnt have a thing on it! It is totally new and bare. So I cant restore something that I dont have lolz. Is there another computer utility that I can use to reformat the card? or something?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would take the card to a camera shop and see if they can format the card. Beyond that you can find a formatting utility here.

http://www.sdcard.org/

Theres not much information there and i have not tried the software so you are on your own on that. It took me 4 times trying to download the manual before i got it. Read everything on the website before you decide to use the software. The software is by the original companys that invented the SD and MMC cards.

SRX660