Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ripping VHS

• Please log in to reply

rayneman5

rayneman5

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi guys, i dont know if i am in the right spot to post the question or not but i was wondering if anybody knows a good program to rip from a VHS tape onto my hardrive and then ultimatley onto a dvd? how would i go about doing this?

Thanx
Todd

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi rayneman5. Take a look here and see if that what you are
looking for.
Video Editing Tutorials, Watch and Learn Has Regular Updates

http://www.geekstogo...als-t84424.html

Sha2

Sha2

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi rayneman5
Have a look at KWorld DVD Maker it's cheap at £30 or so and if you don't know a lot about the subject you don't want anything too expensive. It'll do to learn on and if your comp has the necessary spec it's just a matter of hooking up a couple of cables that are supplied. Lots more progs out there so look around first. Good Luck

rayneman5

rayneman5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanx guys i will give it a look, any other tips?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Borrow or buy a second large hard drive. Use that exclusively for your video work.

A more advanced method of doing things is like this:
http://dvdguide.ennik.com/
This is far more complicated BUT is ultimately a more flexible way of doing things.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I could be wrong, but isn't this illegal?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

I could be wrong, but isn't this illegal?

In theory yes.

If its a home movie you want to transfer to DVD, not illegal at all.
If its a commercial movie, then yes in theory it would be illegal.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
How do we know this is a home movie? Sorry to give the topic the third degree, but really...

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Yes it is illegal, but buying another copy of the same movie on dvd sucks. Why pay for the same movie twice? Movie studios rip us off every chance they get. You know they are releasing a third dvd version of LotR. Why three versions? They rip us off, so why can't we get them back?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Actually its not illegal for VHS as they have no cop protection the DMCA and the laws of other countries which are based from it porhibit the removal of copyright making copying your media illegal however you also under law have the right to have a backup copy of media you own. And since VHS doesnt come with built in copy protection of any level that you would have to bypass then you can copy away and if its for your own use its perfectly legal.

You get DVD authoring software that is opensource i think so you dont have to pay anything, and i would probably go for something like nero that does basic authouring along with a whole tonne of other things and offers better value even if you never make a DVD with it.

You need a TV capture card or a video card with video input capability.

I cant imagine what they would put in a 3rd version of LOTR i would think its probably an HD version of the extended cuts, so i cant say thats all to bad and most dont own HD equipment so no hassle.

Edited by warriorscot, 03 September 2006 - 07:15 PM.

Advertisements

rayneman5

rayneman5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
So wut is your opinion on sumthing like this product that u can buy on ebay? does it work?> is it benficial? userfriendly?

http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanx

if that doesnt work then just go to ebay and type in Tv video capture cards

Todd

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Sorry Warrier,but it has always been and still is ilegal to copy commercial video tapes,this has been the case since the introduction of VHS/Beta in the early 80's.
There has been VHS copy protection systems around for many years,Disney for one has been using copy protection encryption on their video tapes since the early 90's ,and so have many of the later movie studios(eg Lucas etc) .The system disrupts the video output to the video out connections on the player,sometimes seen as diagonal sound bars at the top half of the screen,this de-stabilises the vert sync ,causes the picture to flare and so any cross connection to another vhs recorder will give extremely poor results.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

Actually its not illegal for VHS as they have no cop protection the DMCA and the laws of other countries which are based from it porhibit the removal of copyright making copying your media illegal however you also under law have the right to have a backup copy of media you own. And since VHS doesnt come with built in copy protection of any level that you would have to bypass then you can copy away and if its for your own use its perfectly legal.

This is true in American law, but its actually illegal under British law and has been since 1988.

Under American law one is able to copy stuff for backup purposes. In the eyes of the British law, you're not allowed to do this. It's actually illegal to copy a CD to a tape to be able to play it in the car. You're supposed to buy a new copy of the material. Likewise, you're not legally allowed to record TV programmes either, as its subject to copyright and therefore illegal.

In the real world though, this is impossible to police and it often goes undetected, in fact I think its been tested in a British court of law at some point.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah its technically illegal but its never been prosecuted and no restriction ever put on recorders as in some countries, practical law its legal its the kind of thing even if prosecuted you would never be convicted by a judge as the government takes no action against it in any way and actually has set up taxing and regulation facilities to promote it EG the extra tax on blank VHS tapes.

It is illegal in Oz they are weirdly strict on that stuff.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi rayneman5,
I have recently just transferred all my old vcr tapes onto my hardrive, before they got completly ruined by their age, and being moved from place to place.

I bought the Happaugue PVR 150, tv card.( Personal Video Recorder)
Its great,, with just a cable from your vcr to the tv card, you can use the pvr to record whatever is on the tapes. Once ripped to your hardrive, you can do as you please with them, copy them to dvd, edit them, or just leave them where they are on your hardrive.
As has already been suggested,, make sure you get a decent sized harddrive just for the storage of the copied tapes. Video media takes up a hige amount of space, even a simple half hour music video could be as large as 3 or 4 GB, so keep an eye on your drives free space, it will fill up very quickly.

As for the legal argument,, i agree with warriorscot,,, its technically illegal, but i for one dont see any harm in reproducing something you have already paid for. Especially if you are transferring it to a more reliable storage medium, which was the reason i copied all of my old tapes.
Once i had copied all my home movies, i started reminiscing, going thru old tapes copied from the tv in the early 80s.
Tapes of concerts etc off the tv, mtv award ceremonys from years gone by, episodes from long ago tv shows,, great stuff. Now its all either on my harddrive, or been transferred to DVD for safe keeping, thrown all the tapes out,, saves loads of space as well.
But the point is,, i paid for my tv liscence,, it has never been illegal to tape stuff off the telly for personal use,, its only when people start mass producing dvds etc that legal issues and criminallity come into play.

With the cost of older films on dvd dropping weekly, i cant honestly see why someone would want to copy from an old poor quality vcr tape for commercial reasons. Most of my older tapes have been replaced with the dvd version anyway, so its only stuff that is no longer out there in the marketplace that you would want to copy.

To those thinking this is all an illegal activity,,, have you NEVER taped something off the telly and kept it on tape ???