Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

agp 4x / 8x

• Please log in to reply

mannyz

mannyz

• Pip
  • 9 posts
wanting to upgrade my video card for cheapest possible so looking at options to play somewhat current games but here is what i have

dell 4400
1.70 ghz, 512 ram
windows xp
currently have a geforce 2 mx
agp 4x

1) can i use a 8x card on the 4x slot???
2) was considering -- 128MB PNY Verto GeForce 6600 GT DVI VGA HDTV -Out AGP 8x VCG6600GAPB -- but what is the difference on 256 mb and 128 mb for this card??

also any good video card suggestions for under $100

thanks in advance

manny

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
AGP 8X cards run with 0.8 volts while 4X cards run at 1.5 volts. Most 8x video cards will run at the 4X speed. Perhaps a good X800 card like this.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102608

Or a Geforce 7600 card like this

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130036

Now these are not top of the line because the top cards cost $300 or so. These are just good cards that will work. The more memory built into the card the better it plays the games. While i install lesser video cards in computers for people all the gamers i know will not use lesser cards than the two above. Most think nothing of buying a video card costing almost as much at the computer.

If you are thinking about getting Microsoft Vista and having DX10 you will need a new card anyway. These will tide you over until you are ready for DX10. In truth you computer is a bit dated so i would not put any real money into it. If you waited until Vista comes out and then build yourself a computer around it you would get the most bang for your buck.

SRX660