Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Updating NVIDIA graphic card

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi folks. I've got a NVIDIA graphic card (I think:) and everytime I right click on the desktop on the drop down menu there's this one "NVIDIA Display property (as attached).

Tonight while I was watching a wmv file with Media Player Classic the NVIDIA graphic card caused two unexpected shut down of the computer. The blue screen told me it was caused by "nv4_disp" and the code is 0x000000EA.

So I thought I'd update the graphic card driver but WHICH ONE SHOULD I GO WITH?

I went to the website and there're so many things to choose from. Should I go with this one:?
http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_91.47.html

Please check out my capture image and tell me should I update the driver and how/which one should I go for?

Cheers

Snap1.gif

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I always use the latest drivers Nvidia puts out. There are fixes for problems found with the older drivers put in the newest drivers. Go to the Nvidia website and make sure your card is on the list of cards supported. I always uninstall the old drivers before installing new Nvidia drivers. I have had computers go into endless startup loops by NOT uninstalling the old drivers. Maybe Nvidia has fixed this problem but i won't take a chance so i uninstall.

SRX660

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I know the following questions might be quite dumb... but then again they say there's no stupid question so yeah:

OMG I thought the computer guy said he put in NVIDIA graphic card for me but in Device Manager (as attached) it's shown something different?

1. How do I know if I've got a NVIDIA graphic card?
2. If I haven't got one, can I still use the latest driver? (well, I've been using something from NVIDIA as I
showed in my first post)
3. Where's the supported list of drivers on NVIDIA's website?

Hang on... I'm confused... I attached another screen shot here and it says under "Graphic card information" that my processor is "GeForce 6600 GT". Could you guys check out the other info on the capture and tell me which update on NVIDIA's site I should go with?

Got all the info on uninstalling the old driver first so thanx guys

Cheers

Snap2.gif <--- is the entry under "Display adapters" my graphic card?

Snap1.gif <--- info I got from right click on desktop, selecting "NVIDIA Display" - CMC 19 (1 of 2)

Edited by chinofeliz, 02 September 2006 - 05:09 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes you have a Nvidia 6600GT video card. Nvidia lets many companys use their chipsets to build their own graphics cards. Heres the supported list for the 91.47 drivers. Your video card is on the list.

http://www.nvidia.co..._supported.html

SRX660

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
So could you confirm the steps for me to go with the update? Thanks

1. I should go into Device Manager and uninstall WinFast PX6600 GT under "Display adapters" (as shown in the first capture above)
2. Install Driver Cleaner Pro and install it
3. Reboot the computer in safe mode, then in the list of DCP select "Nvidia" to clean any remaning part(s) of the old driver
4. Restart the computer, install nVidia ForceWare 91.47 Final

Btw, I think "nVidia ForceWare 91.47" is for me. But is it?

Thank you so much
Cheers

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
So could you confirm the steps for me to go with the update? Thanks

1. I should go into Device Manager and uninstall WinFast PX6600 GT under "Display adapters" (as shown in the first capture above)
2. Install Driver Cleaner Pro and install it
3. Reboot the computer in safe mode, then in the list of DCP select "Nvidia" to clean any remaning part(s) of the old driver
4. Restart the computer, install nVidia ForceWare 91.47 Final

Btw, I think "nVidia ForceWare 91.47" is for me. But is it?

Thank you so much
Cheers

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I do not know where you got that information. Here is the Nvidia method.

* "Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.

* Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

* Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

This has been the way i remove Nvidia drivers. I have not had any problems doing it this way.

SRX660

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Sorry I forgot to mention I got that method from nVidia's forum.

Also, there's nothing related to nVidia in my Add/Remove, that's why I was wondering whether I should uninstall WinFast PX6600 GT under Dispaly adapters from Device Manager :S

Got all the other tips, thanx. I was using FlashGet to download the driver so I guess I need to download it again normally with the built-in downloader in IE/Firefox?

Thanks so much

Edited by chinofeliz, 02 September 2006 - 05:52 PM.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
For some reason my last post didn't come up?

So should I uninstall "WinFast PX6600 GT" under "Display adapters" since I don't have anything related to nVidia in my Add/Remove? Then install the new driver?

Cheers

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I've never uninstalled the old drivers, I just download the new ones.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I've read on various forums that installing a newer version of driver before removing the older version might cause problems.

Is that true? I'm just kinda annoyed that I can't see anything nVidia in my Add/Remove and not sure whether I'm supposed to remove WinFast PX6600 GT. :S

Help~

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can try removing the device and see if you can find all the drivers on the computer and delete them like the nvidia forum said. Someone did not install the drivers correctly when they installed the card. Windows should give you a "found new hardware" when you reboot after deleting the device. If you do not get this window you may have to delete the windows display drivers also. If you can't find any Nvidia drivers you may be able to go to the control panel/appearence and themes/display/settings/ advanced/ adapter/properties/drivers and delete the drivers there. You may be able to update the drivers there. The newer Nvidia drivers will uninstall the old drivers. When i tried this on a older 440MX card the new drivers installed along with the old drivers and i ended up with a computer that continually rebooted. I had to reinstall Windows to fix it. Another time i replaced a MX 4000 card with a FX5200 card and the new drivers uninstalled the old drivers before installing the new ones.

SRX660