Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor shuts off after boot prompt

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Workyoubeauty

Workyoubeauty

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I just picked up a GT4024 that has on-board video(xpress300) so I bought an ATI X1300 Pro PCI-E and put it in. My monitor (Gateway FPD1975W) seemed to be working fine before this.
When I turn my machine on the screen reads "no signal", but the power light is blue and it continues to work up until it gets to the boot screen (F2 for bios, F10 for ?) then the power to the monitor shuts off. If I unplug the monitor and let the computer boot to windows and plug it back in the monitor works fine. The thing is it's now doing it when it comes off screen saver. I'll move the mouse to get it off the screen saver and it will flash the desktop for a second and then power off.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the video drivers, but it doesn't seem to help. I've looked for drivers for the monitor, but can't find any.
I hooked the monitor up to another computer for two days and it didn't have any problems, so I don't know where to go from here.

:whistling: Spare me a minute

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Have you gone into the bios and disabled the on board video?

Workyoubeauty

Workyoubeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes.
I changed the Intl boot from PCI to PCI Express. I'm not sure if I need to change anything else.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could try doing driver clean up and reinstall. First, go to http://www.drivercleaner.net/ and get Driver Cleaner (it is free). Then go to add/remove programs and remove the current video driver. Then boot into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then re-boot and install the current video driver.

Edited by austin_o, 02 September 2006 - 03:02 PM.

Workyoubeauty

Workyoubeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can't get the monitor to stay on long enough to find safe mode :whistling:
The only why I can get the monitor to work is to unplug it and wait for the machine to boot to the welcome page. After I have it on it works fine, but now I've noticed that coming out of screen saver mode shut the monitor down as well.
When I get off work in the morning maybe I should enable On-board and see if acts the same?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
That is worth a try. If that doesn't work, pull the PCI-E card and then try going back to on-board.

Workyoubeauty

Workyoubeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, it acts the same no matter what. I'm starting to believe it's an operator error.
I deleted something that controls...something :whistling:
I don't see how I could have unless a driver was bound to something I uninstalled, but even then I can't place what it could be.

Workyoubeauty

Workyoubeauty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Come to find out it was the monitor.
Its been surging and shuting down to protect itself. I don't know why it didn't do it on another computer, but either way problem solved. :whistling: