Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Problem

• Please log in to reply

kelly106

kelly106

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have win2000 installed on my machine. It is a fresh install, No firewall or antivirus or any other software. I am trying to browse internet. Some time it diplays some contents or some time not. Connection looks very slow. I talked to service provider it seems that everything is OK from their side. I can ping as well. But unfortunately I can not browse. With the same hardware setup, I was browsing internet with fully loaded system like firewall, antivirus, spyware etc. But then it stopped working I tried very hard and then decide to format partition with fresh install.
But So far no success. Could any one please help?

Edited by kelly106, 02 September 2006 - 09:30 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Did your fresh install of Windows 2000 include SP4? There were some major security flaws that SP4 fixed. There are many malicious worms out there on the internet just waiting for a vulnerable computer to infect. I will guarantee you will get one as soon as you connect to the internet if you don't have SP4 installed. I personally experienced this when I upgraded my old 1Ghz AMD Compaq from Win98SE to W2KPro. When I tried to go on line and immediately went to M$ for the critical updates, I got infected. I had to download SP4 using my other old Win98, 450 Hhz HP to a CD. Get the one for network administrators, then you can install SP4 directly from the CD and do not need to be connected to the internet. So, my suggestion if you don't have SP4 is to wipe it clean, reinstall with SP4, then go get your critical updates. I strongly recommend you have antivirus software and a firewall. I use ZoneAlarm (free version) and it works great.

If you are not sure if you have SP4 or not, go to my computer, right click and view properties. It will tell you your software version and service pack.

kelly106

kelly106

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Did your fresh install of Windows 2000 include SP4? There were some major security flaws that SP4 fixed. There are many malicious worms out there on the internet just waiting for a vulnerable computer to infect. I will guarantee you will get one as soon as you connect to the internet if you don't have SP4 installed. I personally experienced this when I upgraded my old 1Ghz AMD Compaq from Win98SE to W2KPro. When I tried to go on line and immediately went to M$ for the critical updates, I got infected. I had to download SP4 using my other old Win98, 450 Hhz HP to a CD. Get the one for network administrators, then you can install SP4 directly from the CD and do not need to be connected to the internet. So, my suggestion if you don't have SP4 is to wipe it clean, reinstall with SP4, then go get your critical updates. I strongly recommend you have antivirus software and a firewall. I use ZoneAlarm (free version) and it works great.

If you are not sure if you have SP4 or not, go to my computer, right click and view properties. It will tell you your software version and service pack.

Thanks for replying. Sorry I forgot to mention that SP4 is installed. I did not install zoneAlaram and antivirus yet, but I will do as soon as I will fix this problem.

Problem is, I can not open any web site. I am using a fresh installtion just to avoid any virus. I have three partions on my hard drive. I format one and installed fresh copy of Win2K. I also used "ping google.ca" command to check the connectivity. Most of the time it returns 4 packet but some time with timed out with 25% lost. I am not sure what does it mean for 25% lost. Is there any problem with NIC. I have two NIC installed and both has same problem.

Thanks for reading and replying.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
How are you connecting? Broadband/cable modem or DLS modem, or dial up? Look at the back of the computer and view the lights on the NIC card, you should see a green link light when it is connected via cat 5 cable to the modem. Are you going through a router?

kelly106

kelly106

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

How are you connecting? Broadband/cable modem or DLS modem, or dial up? Look at the back of the computer and view the lights on the NIC card, you should see a green link light when it is connected via cat 5 cable to the modem. Are you going through a router?

I am connected with cable Modem. I can see green light on NIC card and I don't have any router in between.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
When you work talked to your ISP and they confirmed all is well from their side, did they talk you through verifying your connection? Typically with a cable modem the easiest way to configure is to go to start, run and type INETWIZ and click ok, then the internet setup wizzard launches, 1st screen, connect using LAN (local area network) and click next; 2nd screen make sure "automatic discovery of proxy" and "use automatic configuration scrip" and "manual proxy server" are all unchecked and click next; 3rd screen internet mail, slect no and click next; 4th screen, complete configuration click finish. I was reading from my own ISP directions, yours may or may not be the same. I have 4 computers, 2 with W2Kpro and the procedure I listed is for W2KPro.

If you go to start, my computer right click properties, hardware tab and view the device manager, does the NIC show up there and does it say it is working properly?

Was the ISP able to ping your NIC card? Could they see anything beyond the cable modem? They should be able to.

Edited by austin_o, 02 September 2006 - 05:52 PM.

kelly106

kelly106

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

When you work talked to your ISP and they confirmed all is well from their side, did they talk you through verifying your connection? Typically with a cable modem the easiest way to configure is to go to start, run and type INETWIZ and click ok, then the internet setup wizzard launches, 1st screen, connect using LAN (local area network) and click next; 2nd screen make sure "automatic discovery of proxy" and "use automatic configuration scrip" and "manual proxy server" are all unchecked and click next; 3rd screen internet mail, slect no and click next; 4th screen, complete configuration click finish. I was reading from my own ISP directions, yours may or may not be the same. I have 4 computers, 2 with W2Kpro and the procedure I listed is for W2KPro.

If you go to start, my computer right click properties, hardware tab and view the device manager, does the NIC show up there and does it say it is working properly?

Was the ISP able to ping your NIC card? Could they see anything beyond the cable modem? They should be able to.

thanks for replying.

No, did not go through this procedure as you mentioned. But I have checked now and it is same as you described.

I have checked NIC in device manager and there is no conflict and decive is working properly. during disdcussion with ISP he asked me to run couple of command like ipconfig and ping www.google.com. and he said every thing is fine from their side. They suggested that the problem is from front end and you better check the hardware.

I remeber that when he asked me to do ping, I was getting 0% lost. After that I ran this command many times and observed that some tme I get 25% lost. what does it mean? Does it help to fix this problem......

really appreciate your help.

kelly106

kelly106

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
any solution to this problem?..............

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter, does it give you the modem set up page, if yes, run basic set up

kelly106

kelly106

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

If you type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter, does it give you the modem set up page, if yes, run basic set up

No, I was wrong. It does not give modem setup, when I typed 192.168.0.1. what to do now?

Edited by kelly106, 05 September 2006 - 05:15 PM.

Advertisements

kelly106

kelly106

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
waht's next?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got the software CD's for the network card and router

kelly106

kelly106

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Have you got the software CD's for the network card and router

I don't have router. I have software for network card and has already update.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you get this on to your PC using another PC to download and save it to disc

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

kelly106

kelly106

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Can you get this on to your PC using another PC to download and save it to disc

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

I will do that. But let me tell you, right now I am not running anti virus. Before I run this test, I would also like to know where to click for optimize and improve. Thanks for helping.....