Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP machine constantly resets

• Please log in to reply

Shady

Shady

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I am working (trying to) on my friend's computer. They have XP Home. When I go to boot up, everything goes the way it should. However, once the user account starts loading, after about 15-30 seconds, it automatically resets. Does this in a constant loop. I managed to enter MSCONFIG once and have it boot in safe mode. While I was there, I went into the admin account and deleted a ton of useless apps. So I went to restart, and I'll be damned if it didn't help at all. I'm guessing now that it's in the user account portion of XP. Is there a way I can boot into safe mode without entering MSCONFIG? Once I get it running long enough, I need to install HiJackThis and do all that fun stuff. But for now, I need to get the computer running long enough (without restarting) and then fun can begin. Thank you in advance for the help!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hold down F8 when you power up the PC. This will give you a startup menu which includes safe mode. Try "safe mode with networking" if plain "safe mode" won't boot into Windows.

Shady

Shady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
cool, it worked. ok, now my next question. would it be better to run hijackthis while in safe mode, or normal? sorry for the 20 questions, lol...

EDIT:

i was able to remove items that ad-aware/spybot found. yet, the computer im working on still does a constant loop of restarts. i thought it was a "QIC Assistant" program (required for InsightBB), so i delted it. that didnt solve anything. any ideas on what i can do, if anything?

Edited by Shady, 02 September 2006 - 11:59 AM.