Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Signal not reaching Monitors

• Please log in to reply

Knossos

Knossos

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, my problem is as follows:

When I boot up my computer the monitor comes up with a message saying "Signal cable not connected". However, my computer is powered on and all cables are correctly attached. This became a problem last night after I fully shutdown my computer. I was previously having problems with "Signal cable not connected" after quiting games from Valve (such as Day Of Defeat and Counter Strike). That was fixed by a restart.

System Specs:

Motherboard: P5N32-SLI Deluxe
RAM: 2x 1GB Corsair Value.
CPU: Intel D 3 GHz
Graphics Slot 1: NVIDIA 7800GT
Graphics Slot 2: NVIDIA 7800GT
PSU: 500W ATX12V
2 Monitors attached to Graphics Slot 1.

Attempts made to rectify problem:

1) Removed and attached video cables to check for connectivity.
2) Removed both Graphics cards and tested them individually in Graphics Slot 1.
3) Removed both RAM and received a BEEP from the motherboard (as expected), no output on the screen.
4) Inserted both RAM chips individually on the left most slot.
5) Removed the MOBO Battery to reset the BIOS. Still no change.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

Knossos

Knossos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Update:

I tested both the monitors and both video cables with my laptop. Both are working fine.

I haven't been able to find a way to test my graphics cards yet though :whistling:

Osirix

Osirix

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am have the exact same problem with my Viewsonic VX922 monitor and we both have the same graphics card series..

Knossos

Knossos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
An update: I just tested the power supply with a multimeter, the voltages are all correct.

Knossos

Knossos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I am have the exact same problem with my Viewsonic VX922 monitor and we both have the same graphics card series..

I'm pretty sure it isnt the graphics cards... But I can't be 100% sure because I dont have any other machines to test them on (or other graphics cards to put in my machine). The odds of two graphics cards failing simultaneously are pretty remote...

I'm pretty sure now its my motherboard... But still, not 100%

Knossos

Knossos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Problem solved. When I removed the battery from my MOBO to clear the CMOS I needed to move a jumper as well... I didnt realise that.

Re-reading the manual solved that issue.