Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP. My PC Wont Boot Up Right...im stupid with pc's..?

• Please log in to reply

Re-Re

Re-Re

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have a Dell PC (desktop), and it has windows XP on it. Its been working fine for a while until now. My brother is good wit computers but doesnt know whatas wrong with mine.

My computer was going slow one day so I turned it off, and was going to turn it back on a few minutes later. When I pushed the "on" button it started up to the Blue Dell screen like it normaly does, but it wouldnt go past that screen. I asked my brothr, he said just leave it off for a day then try again tomorrow, so I did and it worked...after a few tries.

But this time it was a few days ago (3 to be exact) I turned off my comptuer and last night I went to turn it on, it did the same thing. It had been on for two days by then. So I tried a few more times. It still wouldnt get past that Blue Dell screen. So I shut it down. This morning I tried turning it on, it did the same thing again! Its really bothering me, because I need the stuff on my comptuer!

**But everytime Ive tried to turn it on when it does this, my mouse flickers and makes this weird noise is DOESNT make when my comptuer works fine. I dont know what to do!! PLEASE HELP!!
:blink: :whistling:

Edited by Re-Re, 02 September 2006 - 12:13 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you turn off anything which uses the USB ports, then remove the USB leads from the back of the PC, (apart from the keyboard and mouse), then try starting the PC

Re-Re

Re-Re

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I unplugged everything besides the power cord, the monitor the mouse and keyboard, i even unplugged the internet and my printer. just the basic things are plugged in that I need to make the comptuer work.

And it STILL didnt work..

Re-Re

Re-Re

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I unplugged everything besides the power cord, the monitor the mouse and keyboard, i even unplugged the internet and my printer. just the basic things are plugged in that I need to make the comptuer work.

And it STILL didnt work..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got your XP CD and the product key?

Re-Re

Re-Re

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I don't know where it is, I looked for it the first time it did this, but I couldn't find it anywhere! But that was one of the first things I looked for, I thought I might be able to reinstall windows.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need a same version XP CD and your product key, (usually on the PC tower), with those you can repair XP

Have you tried starting in safe mode

An outside chance is this

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Re-Re

Re-Re

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I would use safe mode. My brother suggested it, but i cant even get it to load into set up so i could switch to safe mode! I goes to the "laoding set up" or watever it says, but it wont go past that.

Do you want the product Key? I can try and find it on the comptuer real fast..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need the product key

Please don't post any product key anywhere on the internet :whistling:

Once you have the product key then you can borrow a same version XP CD if you need to

If you start the PC and keep tapping the delete key, does it enter BIOS set up, if so, look for BIOS defaults, load those, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm and then press enter

Re-Re

Re-Re

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I wont put the product key on here. I will go try the delete key for the BIOS set up real quick.

Be Right Back.

What if that does not work?

Advertisements

Re-Re

Re-Re

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I tired it. kept ressing delete...said it was entering set up.. but it didnt get further than that...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use a PC to get this and run it on yours

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Re-Re

Re-Re

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
What if that doesnt work. Because I cannot download anythign on this computer and It doesnt have a cd burner, and we dont have a SINGLE floppy in this house anymore. I can get some later today when I go out.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you borrow an XP CD

Re-Re

Re-Re

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I might be able to. I hgave my product key from the back of my comtpur.

Im not sure if i will be able to find another one ((XP CP)). I will try though.