Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP. My PC Wont Boot Up Right...im stupid with pc's..?

• Please log in to reply

Re-Re

Re-Re

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
so my comptuer is a windows 98 but has been upgraders to XP

Edited by Re-Re, 02 September 2006 - 04:47 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have asked a Harware Moderator to look at this

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Re-Re...

If the cd-rom that doesn't work is configured as the secondary master, that would explain why you can't boot with the cd. You can replace the bad drive with a new one...or set up the one that DOES work as the master by changing the jumpers on the back of the drive and switching it to the end connector on the IDE ribbon (flat cable).

OR you might try downloading this WinXP Bootdisk Set (requires 6 floppy diskettes...get the correct version for your installed operating system). Create the boot disk set by double-clicking on the downloaded file and inserting floppy diskettes as you are prompted to do so,

Boot to the floppies and when you reach the Welcome to Setup screen, enter Recovery Console. At the command prompt in Recovey Console, type chkdsk /r (note the space) and press "Enter". You will be told the drive is busy and be asked if you want to run this check on the next boot...type Y and press "Enter". Type exit, press "Enter", and reboot, This is a long check...be patient. See if the machine will boot to Windows once this check completes.

I think your bad hardware is 90% of the problem and would suggest that it be replaced or the second drive be reconfigured as the master. If you decide to do this and need help, just let us know.

wannabe1

Re-Re

Re-Re

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

so my comptuer is a windows 98 but has been upgraders to XP

thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You still need to repair the existing version of Windows

Re-Re

Re-Re

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
oh ok

ill try

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Where are we at with this issue...? I am eager to see "who donnit..." :blink:

I agree with wannabe1, it sure sounds like the hard drive is shot...or consider the RAM chips. I had a problem that I thought was hard drive related and it turned out to be a bad chip...so MemTest will point this out...leave it run all night if you have to, if an error does not jump out at you right off the bat... it loads and runs from a floppie... :whistling: