Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CAN I ADD A NEW HARD DRIVE?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
You can see the specs of what I have in my pc below...

I want to buy a new harddrive today before 6pm eastern time. It's a 120GB hard drive. The question is can I add it to my pc or will it slow down my computer?

I dunno what happens when you add a new hard drive. I am thinking to myself that it will slow down my pc or my other hard drive... I currently have an 80GB hard drive that I partitioned into two halves. I want to buy this 120GB one today and partition it in two halves as well. Meaning that at the end I will have 4 partitions including my old 80GB drive. But will this slow down my pc or something?

Of course the ribbon connected to my 80GB drive right now has another plug in the middle on it to connect another drive, and of course the end of the ribbon is on my motherboard.

So can anyone let me know if this is cool????

This is the drive I want to get today. They rarely sell these in my city anymore because now the new wave is 200GB and 400GB, etc. And they only have 3 left.

PLEASE REPLY ASAP!

120GB DRIVE I WANT

P.S.
LET ME KNOW IF IT'S A GOOD DRIVE TOO.

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
a second hd will not slow down your pc. It's a good drive but for the price + 10 you should be able to get 240gb drives which are a lot better deal interms of gb/$. Shop around on ncix, or tigerdirect to find good deals on hds.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I would say yes, you can add the second hard drive. I checked out the link you provided and couldn't be sure if it was sata or eide from the discription so I did a search, found http://www.westerndi....asp?DriveID=27 at Western Digital and it is EIDE. You have a primary EIDE already installed on one of the EIDE channels. I suspect your dvd is on the second EIDE channel. What you can do is install the new 120 G on the same EIDE cable as your primary HD, just make sure to set the jumpers to slave. It will tell you right on the drive how to do that. You may also need to check the jumpers on the primary drive as they may be set to cable select or master with no slave present. It should be set to master with slave present.

Western Digital drives are ok. I have several. Whether or not this one is a good deal depends on the price. You can get a 250 Gig Western Digital hard drive at Sam's Club for about $99.00

Edited by austin_o, 02 September 2006 - 02:03 PM.