Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer is messing up

• Please log in to reply

SmiJa

SmiJa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Today my computer started turning on by itself shortly after i turn it off. I've done virus scans and found nothing. it's a little over a year old, and all i use it for is gaming, graphics, and school work. I've already wint through the BIOS and none off the settings were causeing it. a couple of times inbetween the shuting down and restarting, it said iwas trying to set up a raidconfiguration, but i wasn't, because i have one HD. I was wonder inf any one could help me figure out what the problem is.

Spces:
MOBO: Kv8 Pro
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 2800+
RAM: 1.5 GB PC-2700
HDD: WD 160GB
VID: BFG Tech 6200OC 256MB
PSU: 400Watt MGE

Advertisements

painter1982

painter1982

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
wow very weird. i would run msconfig and disable everything in startup but your av. this is very weird to have happen. next thing i would check for is a power button stuck. if you power it off and the power button is "stuck in a little" it may turn it back on. beyonhd that wow.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Just a note to begin a computer powering on by itself can not be caused by an Operating System or it's software. The powering on of the computer is only power to the BIOS. You are looking at two possible things here. One is a BIOS setting which you say you have already checked but we will try a more fool-proof method of doing that. Second is you could have a short in either a cable running from your power supply to the MOBO or from the MOBO to the power switch or the power switch itself could be bad.

Begin by going in to the BIOS and selecting Load factory defaults or ideally load fail-safe defaults (if applicable). Let me know if the reset to default settings clears up your issue.