Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows messenger refuses to close

• Please log in to reply

garretbcripe

garretbcripe

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Good day gtg brethren-

windows messenger... what the crap? it loads upon pc boot, and refuses to let me close it. it wont even sign on, regardless of what accounts or passwords i use. it just sits there... not signed in, refusing to go away from my system tray. when i right click and exit it, it informs me something along the lines of... you need to close out the other programs using windows messenger before i close windows messenger itself... however i cannot think of what would be using it. i run firefox, so it shouldnt be internet explorer. by going into the processes window i can close the program out, but everytime i reboot it attempts to lset itself to be loaded upon rebooting, and this is getting extremely annoying. apologies if this is the wrong forum to be posting this in.

cheers,
Garret

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi garretbcripe!

Open up Windows Messenger and click on TOOLS-->OPTIONS. In the new window that appears, click on the PREFERENCES tab. Uncheck the top two checkboxes relating to allowing Windows Messenger to run in the background and allow Windows Messenger to start when Windows does. Then click OK and then hit the red X to close Windows Messenger. It should now disappear from the system tray and will not reappear, even if you reboot your computer.

Fenor

garretbcripe

garretbcripe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
wow... didnt even think to try to go in through the program itself to fix the problem. figured i had some sort of faulty install or something. haha, thanks fenor! problem solved.

Garret