Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Total Harddrive Backup

• Please log in to reply

Pac Rat

Pac Rat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm not terribly technically inclined. First time 'user'.
My question is:

Can I use an external harddrive, like a Maxtor available at Costco, Fry's, etc.,
to fully back up my laptop's internal harddrive? (Including all of the software, etc?)

In other words, I'd love to have an easy solution to make an exact and workable copy of my
laptop's harddrive and all of it's data - exactly. I could use it to back up my laptop on a weekly or
monthly basis, etc.

This idea is is that if my harddrive crashes on my older laptop, I can simply replace the laptop harddrive
or even buy a new laptop, and then simply copy the data from the external harddrive back onto the laptop.

Is this possible? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks a lot!! :whistling:

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Do some research into "image" files and ISO's first before going to all that expense. Start with MS's image file maker...there are lots of them out there... An image can be cached to burned CD's for easy and ready access...as can anything else you chose.

Edited by b1caez01, 03 September 2006 - 11:09 PM.