Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Heated Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

leingod

leingod

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi there! I was wondering what are the down factors of having an extremely heated (or hot) hard drive, and what can I do to prevent it from being hot?

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
There are no up factors of having an extremely heated hard drive. You can loose your data and your hard drive could go bad. You can cool off your hard drive with a hard drive cooler.

Here is a website that sells them:

http://www.xoxide.co...rdrivcool1.html

Dude, I'm like, totally 14 years old. I am really helping you! :whistling:

Edited by emery, 03 September 2006 - 05:20 AM.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Lol i am 17 so i will try my best to help. Anyways sometimes all you need is a fan in front of the hd drive cage. most cases should have mounts there. my drive hovers around 33 before i got the fan and now it's around a 26. I think that if the drive temp is below 40 you are safe. Hd coolers are nice but as the name suggest u r only cooling ur hd. WHere as an additional case fan cools just as well (probably less noisy) and helps to cool the rest of the system. some hd's have temp probes and you can read the temps with programs like pcwizard 06 or speed fan.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
sry double post

Edited by †Gladiator†, 03 September 2006 - 05:57 AM.

leingod

leingod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Lol i am 17 so i will try my best to help. Anyways sometimes all you need is a fan in front of the hd drive cage. most cases should have mounts there. my drive hovers around 33 before i got the fan and now it's around a 26. I think that if the drive temp is below 40 you are safe. Hd coolers are nice but as the name suggest u r only cooling ur hd. WHere as an additional case fan cools just as well (probably less noisy) and helps to cool the rest of the system. some hd's have temp probes and you can read the temps with programs like pcwizard 06 or speed fan.

What you're saying that I can a portable household fan (as a cheap alternative) oppsoed to a HD cooler? Anyway I would buy a HD cooler, the only problem is I probably can't fit it in my CPU case. Its not a tower, its one of those flat thing-ies, and the brackets (hard drive cage) that hold my HD are used up... by Hard Drives and an old diskette drive (floppy). Thats unless I replace my old cage and fit a new one. So what to do?

Also thanks for your suggestions you guys. :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
You could get a new computer case that fits an extra (harddrive) fan. Btw- how hot does your hard drive get?

leingod

leingod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I don't really have anything to measure it, but my main hard drive 25C - 30C and my backup Hard drive is much hotter by about 10C more (Degrees Celsius). My backup drive does nothing and it gets more heated than my main HD

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You need to look at the air flow and see if there is anything you can do deal with it. Sometimes moving cables around can help. Sometimes the cases are really poorly designed, so the only solution could be to replace the case.

For your backup disk, you could be it in an external case and only turn it on when you need it, which is better for a backup disk since a power problem could take it out.