Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

infomation needed pls

• Please log in to reply

dragonfire

dragonfire

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
hi one and all
here is my question ,i have an acer aspire t300 and am just abt to purchase a new pc now my query is can i use my acer recovery discs etc too download on my new pc or do i have to buy a new o/s etc
regards
dragonfire

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Your Acer recovery discs will only work on the PC they were supplied for. if your new PC does not come with Windows pre-installed you will have to buy a new, retail boxed copy and install that.

You can save some money buy ordering an OEM copy of Windows from the supplier of your new PC (that's cheaper than buying retail), and they should also install it for you if you ask them before you get the PC.

Apart from any other considerations, from a legal standpoint your Acer copy of Windows is tied to that machine and cannot be transferred to a new one, that's why you only get recovery discs which won't install on to any other system.

dragonfire

dragonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thanx for quick reply looks like have to buy copy of windows

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Consider a private builder, or a smaller computer store that builds computers...get exactly what you want, and then make an OEM copy of Windows part of the deal...it will be far less expensive then a boxed copy... In my case it was about a third...

dragonfire

dragonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thanx all once again for replys have told builder to install xp and he has agreed to do so for a minimal cost

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Great...don't forget to get a copy of the install disk. I am sure that he won't mind. And copies of any disks he uses to install whatever hard ware drivers are needed for the build. Sometimes, for example, if you get a new mother board, you also get disks for the support hardware...drivers and the like.

dragonfire

dragonfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
he is going to give me all discs not recovery discs and as a good gesture he is adding xp pro and other software for the great sum of $50
once again thanx for all replies

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Wonderful...enjoy your, hoped for, new found freedom :whistling: