Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DirectX 10 and graphics cards

• Please log in to reply

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,
I'm building my own system and i was going to get the ati x1600xt card. Then i heard that directx 10 was the next thing. So i was wondering is it worth waiting for compatible cards to come out (that would be in the same price range of my current card). I won't be upgrading to vista soon, but if i did would the ati x1600xt card be compatible

scott

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
i currently own that card and i am on a vista system, dx 10 won't affect you unless you are a gamer and in pursuit of all the eyecandies that the latest games can offer, the 1600 is not a performance card, it runs games fine, but not on high settings. How much are you paying for it? If you do have pci-e in your machine my suggestion would be wait a little longer for the next gen cards, if you have agp and wants to stick to it for 1 more yr than get the 1600 it's a pretty good deal.

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
it's costing me £90 ($170). i've got pci-e mobo. roughly when will the directx10 cards come out, and won't a card similar to the x1600xt but is d10x compatible cost loads more

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They will be out about November, Dx10 cards will cost about the same some will be more because they are more powerful and use more expensive memory and production methods than current cards but only the high end will be like that mid range will cost the same or even less.

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
thanks for the replies
one last question, will dx10 cards support the older dx's like games using dx9

scott

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes they are back compatible.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I tell people in your exact situation that doesnt know what to do about a video card because of the dx10 coming out soon to get a mid end card like the nvidia 7600gt. Now depending where you live and all the nvidia 7600gt is cheaper in the USA than ati would be in the UK normally. Id get either a 7600gt or the x1600xt your talking about.

In the usa you can get good deals on the 7600gt right now.. BFG has the best price right now at newegg but you dont live in the usa so you cannot get it anyway..

The BFG is $144.50 and after a $30 mail in rebate it equals to $114.50.. Shop around online for your country and see if you can find a place that offers a rebate on the x1600xt or even the 7600gt..

Anyway, will all of the money you just saved on a card that will get you through your mid level gaming you can get a good directx10 video card when they come out..

Dont go all out on a x1900 series from ati or dont get a 7800 series or higher from nvidia right now, you are utterly wasting your money unless you are rich enough to get another high end video card when dx10 comes out.. :whistling:

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
hi jrm20,
what's a rebate, i haven't heard of them in uk

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

hi jrm20,
what's a rebate, i haven't heard of them in uk

A mail in rebate is where you get money back if the site offers a rebate on a particular part or hardware item such as a video card...

http://en.wikipedia....ate_(marketing)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont get them in the UK usually they just drop the prices and the stores collect rebates automatically on sale saves you and the manufacturer time and money paying direct.

scott452

scott452

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
okay, i'll go for the x1600xt instead of waiting