Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet explorere

• Please log in to reply

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi, Can someone tell me how I can turn Internet explorer on wins XP off? I have heard that it is a gateway for malicious trojens and adware - I have my own intenet provider system set up (AOL). Thanks

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You really shouldn't uninstall it, as many programs rely on it. As for deactivation, if you have a software firewall installed, simply deny IE any access to the internet.

c00l @qu@r!an

c00l @qu@r!an

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi, Can someone tell me how I can turn Internet explorer on wins XP off? I have heard that it is a gateway for malicious trojens and adware - I have my own intenet provider system set up (AOL). Thanks

OPen IE.
Go to Tools->Internet Options-> ConnectionsTab->Lan Settings.
Check the checkbox to use a proxy server.
Enter the proxy address as 0.0.0.0 and port 80.
See attached snapshot if it is not clear.

Voila you are done. Now microsoft would never be able to bother you with their sh*t explorer.
Have a secure browsing experience. Use Firefox or Opera. :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• DisableIE.GIF

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Just wondering if I follow the turn off instructions if there will arise any major problems with wins XP?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
becuase you're only disabling and not uninstalling, I'm tempted to say no, but it's hard to say really... I would just leave it alone personally. If you really don't want IE running, just disable it's internet access in your firewall.