Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot IBM X40 Windows XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

kkt_mag

kkt_mag

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I cannot boot my IBM Thinkpad X40.

The computer is about two years old. I updated to Windows XP SP2 many months ago. The computer has a CD-R/W but no floppy. The computer runs AVG antivirus, winpatrol, adaware, spybot S&D, spyware blaster to keep it clean

My problem started when Internet Explorer got hung up the other day on a web site that referenced a codec that it wanted me to download, which I did not. However, the Internet Explorer was frozen, and I couldn't even "con-alt-delete" out to end the browswer or restart. So since all else failed, I shut down the power.

Now the computer will not boot in standard or safe mode. In either mode, the blue screen comes up. Unfortunately, I can't read te entire blue screen in the 2 seconds. But the last line reads something like STOP: 0X:000000ED (0x82F768D0, 0xC000006, .....

This computer doesn't come with any Windowx XP discs...rather, it comes with "IBM Rescue and Recovery." However, when I press the "Access IBM" button during start up, "IBM Rescue and Recovery" launches but requests a password. Importantly, I never recall establishing a password for this function, as I have never even used "IBM Access and Recovery" before. I did previously set up a Windows login password; however, this same password is not accepted by "IBM Access and Recovery." So I have ordered by mail order a windows XP boot CD to see if I can get the computer to boot and hopefully obviate the need for "IBM rescue and Recovery."

I'm really depressed, because as always, this occurs right when I need the computer most....a grant deadline.

Any help you can provide would be extremely appreciated.

Ken

Advertisements