Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading cpu

• Please log in to reply

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i currently got a AMD 64 3000+ 2.0 ghz . and i do want to upgrade it a bit futher. my K8V-X only supports 754 socket( or maybe?). is it possible to put in a amd processor with 939 or more socket?. or do i have to upgrade my mobo too?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not possible unfortunately, to put a 939 processor in, you'd need to replace the entire board. Some boards were able to accept what's called a Daughter board on which the new processor would fit, but these were the exception rather than the norm.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

i currently got a AMD 64 3000+ 2.0 ghz . and i do want to upgrade it a bit futher. my K8V-X only supports 754 socket( or maybe?). is it possible to put in a amd processor with 939 or more socket?. or do i have to upgrade my mobo too?

Yeah, you would have to get a new motherboard and cpu both for it to work. You could go socket 939 and just get away with getting a new 939 mobo and 939 cpu or you could go am2 if you really wanted to. If you go am2 you would have to get a new am2 motherboard, am2 cpu, and ddr2 memory and pci express video card.. You more than likely have an ide harddrive so it would fit in an am2 mobo as well. If you went to either board socket 939 or am2 you would have to get a new power supply as well because almost all 939 boards have a newer 24 pin power connectors for the psu and all am2 mobos have 24 pin power connectors. Very few 939 boards use the older 20 pin power supply connector which they are the ones that still use the older graphics slot which would be agp. So if you got a newer 939 board that has the 24 pin power connector you would have to get a new video card aswell because the newer 939 boards with 24 pin power connectors have a newer interface called pci express for a video card.

If you dont want to change all of this stuff and reuse your video card if its agp that is, then you can just get an older 939 mobo with agp.

Alot of choices to go with, If you did get an older socket 939 motherboard with 20 pin power connector and an agp slot all you would need is the 939 mobo and 939 processor, thats it.

It all depends on if you even have an agp video card right now anyway.

Tell me what kind of video card you have, is it?? AGP or Pci or is it integrated only.

What is your budget on upgrading your machine??

How much memory do you currently have?

Do you play any games, if so which ones?

Just answer those and give me a budget and I can help you out better.

Edited by jrm20, 03 September 2006 - 03:40 PM.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Tell me what kind of video card you have, is it?? AGP or Pci or is it integrated only.

XFX GeForce 6800XT 256 MB AGP

200 to 300 ish

1 gig, currently upgrading it to 2 gig

yes i do play games, mostly first person shooters, cs, cod2, fear, bf2142 etc

and another question. i also want to change my stock heatsink + fan. not sure how u change it.. any tutorials or advice? and also, i do want to get dual core. i had a 2.0 ghz amd xp in mind. my currently processor is a 2.0 amd 64. is the speed the same? or the dual core is faster?

Edited by silencer.dot, 05 September 2006 - 04:20 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

XFX GeForce 6800XT 256 MB AGP

200 to 300 ish

1 gig, currently upgrading it to 2 gig

yes i do play games, mostly first person shooters, cs, cod2, fear, bf2142 etc

and another question. i also want to change my stock heatsink + fan. not sure how u change it.. any tutorials or advice? and also, i do want to get dual core. i had a 2.0 ghz amd xp in mind. my currently processor is a 2.0 amd 64. is the speed the same? or the dual core is faster?

Your gonna have to get a new motherboard no matter what. No dual core cpu fits on your board. They dont make dual core amd xp chips either.. Amd makes socket 939 amd X2 dual core cpu's and am2 X2 dual core cpu's.. With your price range you will probably have to stick with the last gen socket 939 which is newer than your current cpu socket.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
can u answer this question too ^^ if possible

and another question. i also want to change my stock heatsink + fan. not sure how u change it.. any tutorials or advice? and also, i do want to get dual core. i had a 2.0 ghz amd x2 in mind. my currently processor is a 2.0 amd 64. is the speed the same? or the dual core is faster?

to make it clear, i wonder if theres any difference between a 2.0 ghz amd 64 to a 2.0 ghz amd x2?

Edited by silencer.dot, 05 September 2006 - 04:52 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

can u answer this question too ^^ if possible

and another question. i also want to change my stock heatsink + fan. not sure how u change it.. any tutorials or advice? and also, i do want to get dual core. i had a 2.0 ghz amd x2 in mind. my currently processor is a 2.0 amd 64. is the speed the same? or the dual core is faster?

Its easy to change, but when you get the new cpu it already comes with a stock fan that is plenty good enough.. Amd generally runs really cool. You dont even need to worry about changing your current because you are getting rid of the cpu and fan and mobo all together... If you want a better cpu fan for the new cpu than what it comes with, all you do is put some thermal paste/ thermal compound on the cpu the size of a rice grain and spread it out with a plastic bag or paper towel. The stock fan already has a thermal pad located on the bottom of the heatsink so all you do is put it on and latch it down.. Simple..

When you are building this pr make shure you keep yourself grounded to the case of the pc, you really should buy a anti static wrist pad/band if this is your first build. ESD (electro static discharge) will kill any components like a cpu,harddrive, video, card, memory anything with a board if you have static in your system.

Edited by jrm20, 05 September 2006 - 05:00 PM.

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
one more question, sorry!

i wonder if theres any difference between a 2.0 ghz amd 64 to a 2.0 ghz amd x2?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

one more question, sorry!

i wonder if theres any difference between a 2.0 ghz amd 64 to a 2.0 ghz amd x2?

The amd x2 is dual core meaning it actually has 2 cores or 2 processors, one stacked ontop of the other.

Dual core cpu's help in multitasking they dont necessarily help in gaming they just take the load off of one another when you are running intense applications and such..

Edited by jrm20, 05 September 2006 - 11:38 PM.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
[/quote]

to make it clear, i wonder if theres any difference between a 2.0 ghz amd 64 to a 2.0 ghz amd x2?
[/quote]

A 2ghz dual core is much better than a single core 2ghz. In a dual core each core runs at 2ghz.