Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slipstreaming XP Home

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I bought this compaq presario SR1020LA and i made the 6 backup cds, they are SP1, my question is: can i make just ONE cd that has ONLY xp home and not ANY JUNKWARE? of course with xp home sp2

-OCM770-

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Someone else may correct me here, but I think you need a 'proper' Windows XP setup CD in order to slipstream SP2 into it and make a new Windows XP SP2 CD. What you have are effectively recovery discs which cannot be used to make a slipstream CD.

The data on your CDs will probably be in the form of a 'disk image' spanned over several discs which can only be read by the compaq recovery program. So you wouldn't be able to copy the necessary files and folders off it to add to the SP2 files for making a new disc.

If someone knows better than me, I apologise for misinforming you.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need a proper OEM CD to be able to slipstream, the Compaq CDs are special recovery media which cannot be slipstreamed to Service Pack 2.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
It's true that what you have is restore media, you can make a new set using the utility that came with the PC after you clean the unwanted stuff off the pc and do the updates to where you want it. Or you can use another Disk Image program like Acronis True Image to create a back up image with your OS and software installed. I find this a great way to restore a pc to the shape I like it in and keep back up images for most of my PCs.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Thanks for the tips guys, i now know the answer :whistling: