Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media File downloaded from Limewire

• Please log in to reply

dncee11

dncee11

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I downloaded a Windows Media file from Limewire (probably a bad idea) and now it will not play or delete. When I right-click on the file, the options listed are Play, Import, Add to etc, open with and send to. Delete is not one of the options now listed and the file does not respond to any of the commands at all. I have scanned the file for any virus or spyware problems and nothing comes up.
Any help please
Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Unlocker from my signature, install with the add to context menu option, reboot

Right click the file, click Unlocker, choose delete

dncee11

dncee11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Keith, I tried that but still, when I right click on this file, delete or UnLocker is not one of the options listed. All of the other files work fine and UnLocker is listed as an option when I right click them. This is a strange one and I wonder if I have downloaded an incomplete sort of file without certain parts attached to make it function normally.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks again
Dncee11

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I use LimeWire extensively...yes, you will get dud files...after all, you are downloading from questionable servers in some cases...lots of viri and malware! So, do a virus/malware scan of every download before opening. Your anti-virus/malware prog should have done it already, but it does not hurt to scan any download from anywhere, as a matter of course.

I often download three or four versions of a file, and keep the largest for use...deleting the rest. If none work, then, forget it. If the file comes down as a rar file, get a rar repair program and see if that works. If it comes down as a zip, do the same. If it is a raw file, no alterations, then it may be also a function of something going on in the back ground of your computer while the download was occurring. Try a fresh download with as many functions killed as possible.

Keith's the man, so I would not deign to say that anything he says is not correct...I am just a lowly user :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use move on boot, you drag the file in to the window of move on boot

http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

It can happen that you can still see the file after you reboot, but you should be able to remove it then

dncee11

dncee11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, that didn't work either. The problem appears to be this this file does not respond normally. All of the other files around it can be treated with the tools you have suggested but this particular one seems immune. I tried dragging it to the MoveOnBoot window but it just would not stick there. When I sent the file to my Desktop, I could then drag it to the MoveOnBoot window and delete that copy, but the actual file still persists in its original place in my music folder. Thanks for your help with this very difficult issue. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Thaks
dncee11

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum