Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chkdsk problems

• Please log in to reply

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Hello,I am having a problem with my chkdsk.
Whenever I run it,it says Checking drive c: file type is NTFS
cannot open volume for direct access,Windows is finished checking the disk.
Also I do not have the Windows Xp disk as it was a factory installed version.

The reason i ran it in the first place is because my defrag always says there are files that could not be fragmented.
Also a long time ago i think through help and support via Compaq I erased my disk cleanup registry key, so I have to use Cleanup to clean my disk.

Thank you in advance for your help. :whistling:

BTW:
I am running Windows XP SP2 all updates installed.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD

Do you click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Once you find someone who will allow it, not only borrow their disk, but if it works, burn a copy of it. Then try to find someone who has updated their system beyond XP-SP2; try to get their disk, which they may not need any longer.

Were there no Restore Disks that came with your computer? I have a Compaq laptop and it came with restore disks...about five of them, which included the 3rd party addons. I ultimately unloaded the OEM version and reinstalled my main frame edition...thus allowing for the use of one disk in both computers. I did not like the fact that I had no control over the initial install.

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Hi Keith thank you for respondingso quickly. :whistling:

Can you borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD

No unfortunately I do not have access to a cd,or know anyone who has one that I could borrow.

Do you click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot

Yes I have tried it anyway that I knew it would run>chkdsk /f /r ,going to Drive C: and right clicking>properties and Error Checking.
No matter how I do it I keep getting that cannot open volume for direct access message.

It used to run every time at startup and keep repeating the message but this time it showed at startup only twice.

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Hi b1caez01,thank you for your response too. :blink:

Were there no Restore Disks that came with your computer?

No restore disks :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type cmd then press enter

At the command prompt type fsutil dirty query c: (or the relevant drive letter). This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows not to check that particular drive on the next reboot.

Reboot, it should load to the desktop

Once Windows has loaded bring up another CMD prompt and type Chkdsk /f /r c:

This should take you through the 5 stages of the scan and will unset the dirty bit.

At a command prompt, type fsutil dirty query c and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
It says it is not dirty.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it run this

Once Windows has loaded bring up another CMD prompt and type Chkdsk /f /r c:

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Hi Keith still the same message.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What if you run this

Click start then run, type cmd then press enter

type CHKNTFS /X C:

press enter and reboot

Hopefully it will just load to the desktop

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Advertisements

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Good morning Keith :help: ,I just finished everything you said to do.
I did try to run the chkdsk utility to see if it worked but I still get the same Cannot open volume for direct access message. :blink:

:whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
According to this, SP2 fixes it

http://support.micro...p;Product=winxp

Set your PC BIOS to boot from CDROM, Boot from the CD
Select the first option R Repair/Recovery Console
Select your Windows partition by number (usually 1)
Login to XP with administrator password
Run CHKDSK /P from the command line

Repeat until no errors are shown, run CHKDSK /P C: (change C if you have other hard drives)

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts

Set your PC BIOS to boot from CDROM

How ??

Boot from the CD

What cd??

Login to XP with administrator password

I do not know my password or if I have set one.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

The XP CD

If you didn't set one, leave the box empty and press enter

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
hi Keith,
I do not have a XP cd.