Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pillowcases and Bed Sheets

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I doubt this has been covered in the Random Topics before :whistling:

Does anyone know what kind of Pillow cases and Beed sheets i can buy that always stay cold.

My wife conned me into buying some Egyption cotton sheets that she said are much much better than the walmart and sears brands. She said they would stay cold longer than the chepo's I had bought at sears, due to thier higher thread count.

I love that feeling wehen you crawl into bed for the night and the sheets are ice cold. It's lights out for me, in about 10 minutes after that.

I have tried the 800 thread count egyptian cotton and they stay cold about 5 minutes. Must I go all the way up 1600 thread count to achieve the full ten minutes or is there an alternative materieal that I have missed.

PS... Tried silk also but they are a pain to launder. Preferrable something we can just put in the normal wash.

Advertisements

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hmmm, interesting post............ thread count in your sheets........... LOL. When I'm ready for bed, I don't care how cold the sheets are, I go to sleep almost immediately.
I do like a cold pillow though, will turn it over a couple of times during the night to have the "cooler" side! :whistling:

Edited by Pluto56, 03 September 2006 - 01:40 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I know it is odd... But it's just one of my ticks... I generally go to sleep also, but my sleep is so much more enjoyable, so to speak, if the sheets stay good and cold, instead of warming up.. probably why i travel all over the bed at night... trying to fold them cold spots :whistling:

computer_man

computer_man

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
[font=Comic Sans Ms] How do you become a go geek tech staff

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
See i sleep under the window with it open that keeps me cold enough, i cant sleep in the warm either.

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I have to have a fan blowing on me. Keeps me "cool" I suppose. And I need the "white noise" it supplies because of my inner ear condition, Meniere's Disease. Without the fan, the tinnitus would be unbearable most of the time. Ceiling fans are great, keep the air moving.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I used to have tinitus when i was younger still get it on a rare occasion guess i grew out of it, can be annoying but i used to get so used to it i couldnt sleep without it sometimes it was even pleasant sometimes wasnt that bad though i didnt have to put up with it all the time and like i said it got better as i got older. Now i just have to be careful my ears havent been the same after i accidently burst them on the range once. Come to think of it while i would find a fan annoying i live next to a chemical plant and i can always here it so i suppose i do have white noise.

The biggest problem with fans is they use electricity and for me they are never cold enough, but im scottish born to be a little cold all my days.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

i live next to a chemical plant

That explains a lot! :whistling:

We have some high thread count sheets that we bought at Sam's Club last Christmas. Somewhere around 1,000 thread count if I recall correctly. They have a very nice feel, but in my opinion, they are warmer (because they're thicker?). I often sleep with only a sheet, while my wife has a blanket and a comforter on her side.

I think some of the cooler sheets we have are a cheap set that came in one of those bed in a bag sets. I'm sure they're 50% polyester or more. Definitely not high thread count. They were NOT comfortable at first, but have broken in nicely and 'breathe' well.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Thats exactly what I thought... the higher the thread count the thicker the material.... but my wife swore otherwise... I may have to go back to the cheap old sears brand because they seemed just perfect.

I think I can get away with shitching pillowcases, but if i try to swap out the new sheets that costed a hundred a piece and go back to the sears ones i'll get in big trouble :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

That's exactly what I thought... the higher the thread count the thicker the material.... but my wife swore otherwise... I may have to go back to the cheap old sears brand because they seemed just perfect.

not so much the higher the thread count the thicker...but the higher the thread count...the less holes there are for air to escape...sheets and blankets are designed to hold the warmth that your body gives off close to your..well body...just like jackets...they're insulators...so if you put something warm in it...it will keep it warm...by doing so you warm up the fabric..in this case the sheets...so one could postulate that by holding more warmth in..you'll increase the temperature of the sheet itself faster than if the warmth were escaping...no sheet is cooler than a 5 dollar bargain bin sheet from walmart (or dollar general if you wanna get real special) that you can almost see through...my GF has her sheet, blanket, quilt arrangement taken care of...and i have my own sheets for my side of the bed (top sheet that is..fitted sheet is always the same)...when it's really hot i use the one that was the cheapest sheet we could find...when it's not so cold i use the "t-shirt" material sheets..because they're soft and i can kind of make a cocoon for myself cuz they're stretchy....if you REALLY want to make sure that the sheet itself is as cold as possible...make sure that it has the lowest percentage of materials that can be found in nature possible and that it's thin and cheap...those tend to stay the coolest (i live in the same torment as you cowboy...my normal sedentary core temperature is between 99.5 and 100.2 so i'm always hot)

Advertisements

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
i think more threads = the longer it takes to cool down, or warm up, by my logic. on the night before the first day of school i went to bed around 11pm, and fell asleep almost 2:am :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could also keep your sheets in the freezer untill right before you go to bed....i bet that would feel awesome!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
The freezer......... Outstanding idea..... That is my solution. Or maybe i could just swipe one of the Nitrogen carts from the headend at work and set it with an automatic spray every 20 minutes.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
*admin rushes out to patent Peltier cooled sheets. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, the coldest sheets ive ever had were when i was at RAF boulmer the things were freezing and they werent for warming up any which was not to bad, they were really tight nit sheets with ridiculous amounts of starch.

But i dont normally use sheets duvets are more common here than sheets(of course we have a bottome sheet but you dont want that to cold. A duvet is warmer but it takes a little to heat up.