No problem with other downloads, slowdowns (that I can detect) or pop-ups (that I can detect). Should I be looking for anything in particular?
I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask that came up in may review of the things you suggested.
1. Can I delete the folder C:\program files\mysearch and attendant folders and files under it?
2. Can I delete the following things that hijackthis finds:
* 04 - HKCU\..\Run: [Timezone]... [Add/remove didn't remove this.]
* 08 - Extra Content Menu &Add animation to Incredimail Style Box. (I tried Incredimail two or more years ago and didn't like it. Add/remove didn't remove this.]
* 09 - Extra Button (no name) ... (no name)
In addition, my father has WeatherBug on his computer. He's 94 and does not do this kind of thing. Are there instructions somewhere as to how to remove all of it without a trace? I'd like to get it off when I'm next up where he lives.
Finally, I'd like to thank you for your work on this. Reasonably clearly, I'd never have gotten this far.
To help answer the questions in #2, the highjackthis log follows:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:01:31 AM, on 9/10/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
C:\Program Files\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Preferred User\Desktop\HijackThis.exe