Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd. hard drive with different OS

• Please log in to reply

Stoddy

Stoddy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Currently running Xp Pro on master HD on Primary IDE, with data HD on same as slave. Can I install another HD with Win.98 on my Secondary IDE as a master, and keep my DVD/CD as a slave? If so, will I be able to access and read from the '98 drive, or will I have to reboot through some sort of 'drive management' program?.... have some games and programs that will not work on Xp, and I don't want to run a second system just for them!....thanks...Stoddy.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If your XP is formatted NTFS, Windows 98 will not be able to read it.
Might be worth considering Virtual PC instead - set it up right, it will be able to read NTFS.

blubear2

blubear2

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I ran into the same problem - programs I used daily on a 98 machine which wouldn't run on XP.

I solved the problem with a switch which allows me to have one monitor, 1 mouse and one keyboard yet two towers. I can then switch back and forth between the two towers.