Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP desktop freezes on loading

• Please log in to reply

Hauzen

Hauzen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is a rather strange issue and I don't recall having made any software additions/deletions/changes recently to have caused it.

My computer (Windows XP) boots normally, however none of the desktop icons are clickable - attempts to double-click on anything on the desktop only crash the system. The start menu works fine and I can easily access the list of programs and even run one, however that's all I can do - the instant I run anything then the entire computer freezes. I have similar problems if I start the computer up in Safe Mode too.

I suspect it's a virus of some sort, but I'm not sure which and what steps I should take to rectify the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated :whistling:

Edited by Hauzen, 03 September 2006 - 10:57 PM.

Advertisements