Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Swap Help

• Please log in to reply

vec

vec

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all.

I have a dell dimension 3000 stock and my sister has a dell dimension 4700 stock. I've just realized that I only have pci slots, and would like to upgrade graphics capabilities through pci-express. Now, the 4700 has pci-e, and so i would like to trade computers with my sister. They're very similar computers, identical case. The only difference is chipset and processor i believe. We both have windows XP home sp2. I'd like to trade computers with her with as little complication as possible, seeing as she'd want it done quick. My question is, can I simply unplug my hard drive and plug hers in and vice versa. Would it be simple as that? Should I uninstall drivers before or after the swap(drivers such as chipset and processor). Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Chances are that you would need to reinstall windows if you do swap HD's, (xp checks approx 10 pieces of hardware and unless both pc's are trully identical ,activation will no longer be valid) you may be better just creating new users on each others and swapping personal files etc,till such time as a complete new install is necessary.
If you can temporarily borrow another HD you can clone each hd to swap over drives,using Drive image or similar.

vec

vec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey, thanks for the reply. I guess they're not that identical. I currently have a 40gig hard drive running my OS, plus another 80gig attached for my media. She has just an 80gig. What do you think would be the easiest route in swapping. I'm willing to wipe the majority of my 80gig media if i have to. And also, could you explain the XP activation. Thanks.

vec

vec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you think i can just buy a 4700 motherboard, put and put existing processor on it?

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
That is another alternative but remeber If you change the motherboard /Processor you may still need to re-install/re-activate windowsxp.

vec

vec

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
okay. i have 2 hard drives so that wont be a problem. my friend's somehwat convinced to build a new pc altogether, so im gonna think about that. thanks for all your help. i appreciate it.