Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot up problems and computer hangs

• Please log in to reply

Fruit Gum

Fruit Gum

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
~Fujistsu Siemens Scaleo-P
~Windows XP SP-2

Hi,

I bought the above desktop about a year ago and it's been plagued with this problem for over the past half year. It's been in repair 6 times (and had the hard disk replaced) but each time, the shop say they can't find the problem and now the warranty has expired. Typical!

Anyway, the problem is two-fold, I think:

Firstly, the computer doesn't boot up properly (it doesn't appear to recognise the hard disk sometimes) and after the Fujitsu-Siemens logo screen, asks me to put in the manufacturer's recovery CD (which then leads onto a full Windows re-installation/repair) OR

Secondly when it does load Windows, usually after a few resets, it works ok until I hear an completely audible click from somewhere inside the computer and then the computer (after a few seconds) freezes and then I get a blank screen (even thought the computer is still on). This is completely unpredictable. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

I've been told if could be a number of things:

-Faulty hard disk (which the shop replaced and seemed to solve the problem for about a month)
-The problem is environmental (eg. power supply which the shop said after they set it on a reboot cycle in shop with no apparant problems)
-Overheating somewhere in the computer.
-An outdated BIOS (which the engineer over the phone told me)
-The battery on the motherboard needs replacing (friend's suggestion)

Is there any life left in this or should I pull forward my plans to get a new laptop?

I've put this in the hardware forum, cos I can hear an audible click and then the computer bombs. Apologies if this is in the wrong section and apologies if this is too long a message.

Many thanks for your help and advice, in advance.

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Even if your six month warrenty has ran out,
i would still take it back to the shop where you bought it.
Its apparent that the original problem you had is still present and the fact that you have had it back in the shop 6 times should be enought to say that there is an inherent problem.
It could be the battery, it could be overheating, it could be lots of things, but one thing it isnt is,,,its not your fault !!!!
From a legal veiwpoint as far as buying goods with a warrenty goes, the shop should have replace the pc with another model if it was giving you,,, and them , such difficult repair problems.

Once the warrenty runs out, their service to you should end, but if its still broken and not functioning as it should, then the shop really does have to do something about it..

Go back to them and give them some grief,, they owe you a computer that works proerly and without fault.
That is what you were told you were buying wasnt it !!!!