Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Ok here's the deal:

I have a DSL connection...I hook up my ethernet cable to my Dell computer.

It works...but after like 30 minutes....it doesn't connecto to the internet...but the funny thing is...it still says: Connected on the connections from the control panel...

I already tried removing all firewalls (windows and mcafee) but to no good...

One very wierd thing is this: when it disconnects and i try to use msn...the internet connection test windows comes up to see what the problem in my connection is...and the only problem are the PORTS!!...but how do i fix that?

please help...i tried using the guide and going to peripherals stuff but there is no port panel... :blink: :whistling:

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. When did this start? Has this always happened?

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
It started since i hooked it up to my brand new dell computer :whistling:

And no...it hasn't always happened...:S

Anyway thanks for the reply :blink:

Edited by MaverickSidewinder, 04 September 2006 - 01:42 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, let's try resetting the modem and router. Power down the computer and then unplug both the modem and the router, and leave them off for about 30 seconds. First, restore power to the router, and wait about 15 seconds. Power on the modem now and wait another 15 seconds. Once all the ready lights are showing properly, you may turn on the computer, and see if this helps. I know it's a strange ritual, but it usually works.

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
I have a Linksys router...but it is also my modem...i don't have a modem...i only have that router...

I really don't know if the problem is in my computer or in my modem/router...

its bugging me out

Edited by MaverickSidewinder, 05 September 2006 - 02:36 PM.

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Sorry for the double post...but what is really strange..is that when i execute MSN Messenger....it obviously doesn't connect, but when it tests my connection to see what the problem is, it says that the only problem are my ports...

I tried following Windows XP's guide for ports but when it sends me to the list of computer hardware/peripherals and says to navigate to the port section...i can't find it...

Im clueless... :whistling: