Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unknown Disk on WinXP install

• Please log in to reply

saken

saken

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I started in gparter to create partitions for a dual boot WinXP/Linux
Formatted the drive
Created one NTFS one starting at the beginning of the drive and left the rest free for the linux installation to use. Everything went smoothly till I inserted the WinXP cd and got to where it shows the partitions and drives (the first menu where you can use the arrow keys).

Now I would get the error setupdd.sys .... STOP : 0x0000008E .
So I installed Linux to have a running OS to figure things out with (which im on now).
And searched around alot, finding many fixes for this error. Including bad ram modules or hardware. I started by replacing every part of my computer, ram one at a time first, sound card, cd drives, floppy drive. Aswell as removing all USB peripherals, with the chance they may be incompatible . And nothing fixed the problem.

At one point I realized I had forgot to remove on USB device, and for some reason, once I removed it I didnt get the error (but unknown disk drives still). So I figured I had fixed the error message. But I then restarted again, got back to that window without changing anything and all of a sudden I get the error again, which makes me thinnk it has to do with the CPU overheating ot being to cold. Could this be true? Well I got the error continuously for a while.
Untill I coincidently put in a flash drive, and when I got to the windows install screen. I would no longer get the error after hitting enter, and the USB drive showed up above the unknown drives.

But now the problem is the 2 main drives I have (SATA, not on RAID, on a K8v-SE Deluxe Motherboard).
Are showing as:

Unknown Disk
(there is no disk in the drive)

Unknown Disk
(there is no disk in the drive)

Both of which worked perfectly fine before formatting the drive.
And they also work fine under linux, its the WinXP install that is having the problem finding the drives. Even the BIOS on startup recognizes them.

I then went to Asus.com and downloaded the Promise SATA378 Driver V1.00.0.26 (ATA Mode) for the k8v-se deluxe motherboard and put them on a floppy, when entering the WinXP installation I hit F6 and loaded the WinXP Promise drivers. But when I got to the partition section of the install I still have the same problem, Unknown Disk (there is no disk in this drive). But I can still see the USB drive there.
Could this be the AMD64 Hardware Virus?

Any ideas for a solution to this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows XP setup does not recognise the file format used by Linux, it will flag it as being an unknown disk because its been formatted by Linux in such a way that Windows cannot talk to it. It will also be unable to format it as well, leaving you with no other option but to manually wipe it.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
gparted may have corrupted th NTFS partition. Does the distro you installed have QTParted? If so start it as root and use it to reformat the NTFS. You may have to reinstall the boot loader to get it to recognize your boot sequence or you may have to reinstall the Linux after the XP to get it to work properly.

Edited by silverbeard, 04 September 2006 - 05:25 PM.

saken

saken

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the replys.

Windows XP setup does not recognise the file format used by Linux, it will flag it as being an unknown disk because its been formatted by Linux in such a way that Windows cannot talk to it. It will also be unable to format it as well, leaving you with no other option but to manually wipe it.

I dont think it has to do with Linux at this point because I tryed installing windows before linux, and only resorted to installing linux before windows to get online. I was planning to do windows first so I didnt have problems with Grub.

gparted may have corrupted th NTFS partition. Does the distro you installed have QTParted? If so start it as root and use it to reformat the NTFS. You may have to reinstall the boot loader to get it to recognize your boot sequence or you may have to reinstall the Linux after the XP to get it to work properly.

I used the gparted live CD. Should I download the actual gparted for linux and try this qtparted from there?
I got Windows Vista installed with no problems. Ill give the QTParted a try, thanks. Also it seems I have Promise and VIA installed, would they somehow conflict? I believe I used the Promise SATA drivers on windows installation, do I need to try VIA?

Thanks for the help.