Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Compaq Armada M700 Bad Connection

• Please log in to reply

dish-man

dish-man

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:blink: Please, bare with me. I have very limited computer knowledge & no electrical knowledge. :whistling: I have a Compaq Armada Laptop that appears to have a bad connection. I've been getting a low battery warning, even when my laptop is plugged into an outlet. At first, I thought it may be the battery. Now, I've come to a different conclusion. It appears that my power cord isn't getting a good connection. This is causing the computer to run on the battery & eventually drain it, even though it should be getting electricity. This morning, I figured out that I could jiggle the connection & get the battery charging light to come on. That doesn't seem to work now though. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem? I would appreciate any help you can provide. TIA :)

Disclaimer: I'm posting under my DH's account. I wouldn't want anyone to give him "credit" for my vast knowledge. :help:

ETA: I was able to manipulate the connection & get power coming into the computer again. It didn't last long though.

Edited by dish-man, 04 September 2006 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

First thing to double check is whether the bad connection is definately with the power adapter or with the jack on the laptop itself (i.e the socket that the power adapter plugs in to).

If you're confident it's the power adapter, then I would recommend you just but a replacement one. Don't know which country you live in but in the UK you can buy a power adapter for the Armada for around £10-15 (new) from Ebay. I suspect the price will be very similar in the US.

If it turns out to just be a loose connection in the power adapter, then it may be repairable with you're good with a soldering iron, but normally they're not worth the trouble

dish-man

dish-man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the info. I'll have my DH read your reply & see what he can do. Although, I'm no longer confident it's a bad connection. Recently, it's acting more like it's haunted. :blink: The light will go off, then come back on w/o me doing anything. :whistling: Do you have any idea what could be causing it to do that? Thanks again :help:

ChrisWright

ChrisWright

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello,

I have had this very problem with a laptop purchased from Evesham.

The cable would have to be connected at a very exact position, and as a temporary measure I had to place a small amount of weight on the cable where it connected into the jack.

I MUST stress that this had to be a temporary measure, as it eventually stopped working.

The solution: I had to send the laptop back to the manufacturer for repairs.

This seems to be a problem for a number of different laptops, as I know friends who have faced the same problem.

Sorry for the possible bad news, especially if the warranty is out,
Chris

dish-man

dish-man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That's exactly what mine has progressed to. Unfortunately, my laptop isn't under warranty. Do you know what they did to fix yours? Thanks for the info. :whistling:

Edited by dish-man, 05 September 2006 - 01:42 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

The light will go off, then come back on w/o me doing anything.

Do you mean the light on the power adapter itself?

dish-man

dish-man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, I wasn't clear. :whistling: I was referring to the light on the front of the laptop that shows the battery is in the charging process. Without that happening, the computer will only stay powered up for very short time. It's now doing exactly as ChrisWright described. It can be manipulated to come on by lucking upon the location it's happy with & applying pressure. That's getting harder to do though.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, definately sounds like a bad connection but as I said before, try to determine whether the loose connection is in the power adapters connector or in the laptop itself.

Without touching the actual connector, just hold the power lead about 1 inch from the connector & wiggle the cable. This should move the cable but not the connector so if the charging light comes on/off when you do this, it may suggest the connector on the end of the power adapter (not the laptop) is at fault.

If you only get a good connection whilst applying pressure to the actual connecter, then this suggests it's probably the laptops power jack that has the loose connection

dish-man

dish-man

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks :blink: I ordered a DC power jack, which will hopefully correct the problem. It's actually working again at the moment though. :whistling: