Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LG GSA-4166B not detecting dvd/dvd-r/cd-r

• Please log in to reply

Dynamic_Entry

Dynamic_Entry

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I'm having a problem with my LG-GSA-4166B DVD writer.
It will play cd-roms, but it will not detect dvd-r/dvd/cd-r so I can not burn any disks.

I also have a Pioneer 104 DVD/CDROM player, but I disconnected that and Im still having the problem.

The problem may also be the SCSIVAX DVD player that Alcohol 120% installed, but I need to use Alcohol 120% to burn the disk I need, and these problems were not occuring until very recently (the virtual drive was not causing a problem before, so I'm not sure if this is it)

I tried upgrading the firmware to 1.02 but that didn't help. I also replaced my old IDE connector with a new one the drive came with, but that didn't help.

Is it possible that it's some kind of virus or other software that's causing the conflict? I really can't think of anything else that could be causing this.

If anyone could help as soon as possible I would appreciate it. I really need to be able to burn this disk.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The laser's probably died. If that is the case, it will be far far cheaper to buy a new unit rather than replace the laser.

Dynamic_Entry

Dynamic_Entry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I don't think it is the laser, because this exact problem has occured before and somehow it ended up fixing itself. This makes me think it's some kind of software issue. I'd really like to find out if that's the problem so I don't have to spend another $100 dollars on replacing something that isn't broken.

Dynamic_Entry

Dynamic_Entry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
does anyone have any other suggestions?