Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Separate Windows Keep Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply

Athena28

Athena28

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi,

For the last few weeks anytime I open more than 1 window (and it sometimes happens when I only have 1 window open) I get one of these 2 error messages:

1. Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Internet Explorer. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

2. An error has occurred in Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer will now close.
If you continue to experience problems, please restart your computer.

3. I've also received this error message. I did a search on microsoft help & neither of the numbers came up when I searched for a solution:

SysFader: IEXPLORE.EXE - Application Error

The instruction at "0x4fedf507" referenced memory at "0x00238030". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Anyone aware of any virus that's around that might be causing this?

Thank you.

------------------------------------------

MY SPECS:

DELL NOTEBOOK:

Dell Inspiron 4150
Win XP
Service Pack 1
IE 6.0
Word 2002
Mobile Intel [R]
Pentium [R]
4-M CPU 2.20GHz
2.19GHz
512MB
Earthlink 5.0
56k Modem

Edited by Athena28, 04 September 2006 - 03:32 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi Keith,

I've done what you suggested; however, when I get to this step:

'Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD' -- after I install the CD -- besides a 'blue onscreen progress bar', another screen appears I'm asked if I want to:

- install Windows XP
- install optional Windows components
- perform additional tasks
- check system compatibility

Do I do anything w/this screen or ignore it & wait for the 'blue onscreen progress bar' to finish?

Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Wait for the blue bar to run, it will just go off the screen when the scan is complete

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Ok, I had to keep hitting 'retry' while the CD was in to keep the blue bar moving but it did finally finish & I rebooted and removed the CD. I'll see how it goes from here.

Thank you again.

Edited by Athena28, 04 September 2006 - 06:09 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Well, I began uploading some pics to picturetrail & had another window open. Things seemed ok but when I opened a 3rd window I got this message:

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

'If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Internet Explorer. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.'

One window closed.

Then the message appeared again and the window where I was uploading pictures closed.

Then I tried to attach a file in my yahoo email & this appeared:

'An error has occurred in Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer will now close.
If you continue to experience problems, please restart your computer.'

Unfortunately, it seems as if the problem is still here.

Edited by Athena28, 04 September 2006 - 08:54 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which version of IE have you got?

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I have 6.0.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click tools, internet options, advanced, is re-use windows for shortcuts ticked? Untick and click apply if it is

Or

You can:

Click start, control panel, add / remove then add / remove windows components, remove the tick for IE, click apply and reboot, then replace the tick and click apply

Or

Repair XP

Or

Install IE 7 RC1

http://www.filehippo...ernet_explorer/

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then Hard Drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

printingxpress

printingxpress

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Message deleted.

Edited by printingxpress, 06 September 2006 - 08:58 PM.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Thanks, Keith.

I'll try some & see if they help.