Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rundll32.exe Application not found

• Please log in to reply

Matthew E.

Matthew E.

• Pip
  • 1 posts

the above solution is complicated

Simply follow the bellow step... ur problem will be solved

Try it.
Click Start, Run. Type command and press Enter. Type notepad and press Enter.
Notepad opens. Copy all the text below into Notepad.

Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

Save this as fix.reg to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad.)
Double Click fix.reg and click YES for confirm.
Reboot your computer.

THank YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU <3

This absolutely works. At first I saw the \ (backslash) key as | (vertical line) - make sure you are typing backslash in your notepad file. I registered only to tell you thanks - truly a world class solution!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for letting us know and it great to know that a solution that was given almost 2 years ago is still helping folks like you today. :)

palanb

palanb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I too registered just to tell you MANY THANKS for your solution to this problem. (Looks like there has been an
epidemic of "missing rundll32.exe" errors lately.)

FYI, I actually had TWO problems. The first was that none of my ".exe" files would execute. Every time I tried to start one up (clicking on any desktop icon), I got a window asking me to choose an application to run the selected application. For example, this happened when I tried to start Internet Explorer. (I see that the original poster also had this same problem.) I tried
various internet HELPs on this problem, but couldn't find anything useful. (The proposed solutions were all very complicated, like the first proposed solution to the "rundll32.exe" problem.) Then I discovered that I was also getting "missing rundll32.exe" errors when I tried to run things on the Control Panel. So I used your solution for THIS problem, and my first problem with ".exe" files ALSO disappeared.

(Wish I knew what caused this problem -- I think it may be virus-related: AVG
found and eliminated a virus shortly before this problem occurred.)

Thanks again to SOMU for this valuable and easy solution.

Edited by palanb, 02 May 2011 - 10:24 PM.

davidpbp

davidpbp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have exactly this problem too - also seemingly after AVG quarantined a virus.

I have tried the above solution but when I save the notepad file I do not get the option to save as "All file types in notepad" - just as "All file types". Then there is another box below saying Encoding ANSI.

When I then save and double click on the fix.reg file, I click "Yes" and then get a message saying "Cannot import C:\Documents and settings\Astral\Desktop\fix.reg The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor".

Any suggestions as to what I might do now please?

palanb

palanb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
CAVEAT: I am NOT an expert in any of this stuff.

Comments:

1)I'm doing this on Windows XP.
2)This worked for lots of other people (as you can see), so hopefully should work for you.
3)The original solution poster meant "Save as type: All files" in Notepad, NOT "Save as type: All files in Notepad". The "in Notepad" is NOT part of the "Save as" info.
4)Leave the "Encoding: ANSII" info alone.
5)As also mentioned earlier, one needs to EXIT the (black) command window to get back to Windows.
6)FYI, my original problem happened to me AGAIN! After AVG quarantined a couple of viruses, I started
getting the same error messages again. Since I had saved the "fix.reg" file on my desktop, I just ran it
again and rebooted. Problem fixed!
7)I don't specifically know what might be causing your problem. Did you cut-and-paste the info into the
fix.reg file, or try to type it. If the latter, maybe a typing error? If the former, maybe you copied too much or too little of the info. All I can suggest is to try it again. I recommend cut-and-paste since
you are guaranteed to get the correct info IF you cut-and-paste EXACTLY what is in the solution. Make sure to copy the three blue lines in their entirety. (It is easy with cut-and-paste to miss a character.)

Good luck. Sorry I can't help any further, but my knowledge is limited.

Edited by palanb, 08 May 2011 - 06:13 PM.

davidpbp

davidpbp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks palanb. However, since I posted that, I have made some other searches and came up with this http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

I installed the "EXE File Association Fix" and it worked a treat. So no need to do anything else at present.

I appreciate your help.

davidpbp

dancin

dancin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I join the ranks of those before me who logged on just to give thanks. Had same problem (am running 2003 Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3): attempting to open any .exe applications would only end in error message "rundll32.exe Application not found" or would ask for me to select a program to use to open the application (Open with... screen). None of my control panel icons would open, nor program files accessories or run commands. This prevented me from being able to use many fixes I read about because I couldn't access anything.

I did find if I clicked on actual files (like a .doc or .ppt) the application would open from the file (rather than opening the application directly). This gave me comfort knowing the applications were still intact. I could access the internet because I had some internet files saved to my computer and found one and opened it up. Outlook was a different matter. Didn't know if I had Outlook files stored somewhere or what to look for to find some, so could only open if I was trying to send someone an email from a website or something. This did not open Outlook, rather just the create email page. Otherwise, clicking directly on desktop shortcuts, startup icons, programs list, or directly from the program application always resulted in those error messages.

I couldn't get my notepad open either, to paste the blue text in. However, I took previous suggestions from this topic and downloaded Oldtimer from this site, ran the scan according to directions, which resulted in two notepad docs containing computer data. I used one of them, deleted all of its text, replaced with the blue text mentioned in this topic previously, and saved as "fix.reg" as type "all files" to the desktop. All I had to do was click on it, answer "yes" and my problems were all solved! Didn't even have to reboot. Hours of reading until I came across this, tried it FIRST, and it worked. Thanks for all the posts including the thank you's. The numerous thank you's helped me decide which fix to start with or trust!

P.S. This problem may have been induced by XP Security virus/trojan I've read about. I did have those aggravating XP Security screens which seemed to disappear after running McAfee scans.

mannisan

mannisan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am also a new register to this site. I did this to thank SOMO fir the quick fix. running xp on dell laptop got same virus found by avg. I was unable to launch fire fox after the damage. IE still worked (thank god) and found this solution. must be a new virus out there with all the new probs reciently.

Daddy00

Daddy00

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Had to register to add my thousand THANK YOUs.

Was surfing sports web site when AVG firewall suddenly turned off and AVG tried to quarantine "CCS.EXE"
It's still in my AVG virus vault and incident log.

Right after that, experienced all the problems mentioned above from other posters - icons not linking correctly to .exe files, icons in Control Panel not opening - thank goodness I Googled the error message about not finding RUNDLL32.EXE and found this POST!

I had spend 3 HOURS backing up key files, and I thought my registry was corrupt somehow - and I was dreading the possibility of having to re-install the OS :-(

In any case, the fix.reg solution worked like a charm. Need to run AVG scan to be sure everything OK.

Still don't know if problem was caused by Malware on the web site, or by AVG trying to quarantine. But it looks like a pervasive problem cropping up.

Again, registered on the forum just to THANK YOU Somu and everyone else for giving me a solution.

palanb

palanb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Since AVG seems somehow related to the problem, you might want to consider Malwarebytes Anti-malware to
check for malware problems. It seems to work good for me: it found eight problems, whereas AVG found
only two. (The eight Malware-found problems included the two AVG-found problems.)

Advertisements

AmmonSalmo

AmmonSalmo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My god, this is amazing! Registered to give my BILLION thanks! (I bet we all look like a fake testimonials page huh?)

That reg somu put up 2 years ago solved 3 hours of trying to rebuild the sys32 file...like Daddy00 I feared having to reinstall the OS and transferring all user accounts = bad bad bad thing.

Had to write it on another computers notepad, because the one I was working on could not open it (could not open command either!!)

P.S. as of May 2011, has anyone noticed the flood of WinXP rundll32 missing problems? Is there a virus going around?

Anyways, thank you geekstogo.com and thank you ESPECIALLY somu!

Edited by AmmonSalmo, 16 May 2011 - 02:56 PM.

davidgray8

davidgray8

• Pip
  • 2 posts

the above solution is complicated

Simply follow the bellow step... ur problem will be solved

Try it.
Click Start, Run. Type command and press Enter. Type notepad and press Enter.
Notepad opens. Copy all the text below into Notepad.

Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

Save this as fix.reg to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad.)
Double Click fix.reg and click YES for confirm.
Reboot your computer.

Dude you a a genius! That worked PERFECTLY! I was scared as [bleep] for a while! So Simple, thank you thank you thank you!

You are a God amongst men!

Daddy00

Daddy00

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm now using AVG and Anti-Malwarebytes

Edited by Daddy00, 22 May 2011 - 04:05 PM.

hann888

hann888

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I had trouble with rundll32.exe, tried registry cleaners and ran antivirus in safemode, but nothing helped.
Then tried Somu's solution and it worked a treat. Thanks for this solution. Could you recommend a good antivirus?

Thanks,

D'Bac

D'Bac

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi - I created the notepad file and said yes when asked. However, the Laptop won't even boot up in safe mode? Any suggestions?