Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer sucks

• Please log in to reply

arf

arf

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ive recently been having problems with my computer in that it would either freeze up or restart. It would restart when i open up a game or freeze when i scroll a webpage down real fast. Because of this, i thought there was a problem with my graphics card so i bought a new one. I tried installing the new card but my monitor blinks its lights which means i get no signal. Everything was working fine until i took apart the whole computer and rebuilt it. NOw, i can't even get the computer to work with my old video cards and the monitor keeps blinking its lights. I know the hard drives work and the video card works. Im thinking its not the processor because if i take the heatsink and fan off, the computer quickly shuts down. Do you think that there is a problem with my motherboard?? does anyone know how i should fix this?

Advertisements

ChrisWright

ChrisWright

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I would strongly advise NOT to run your computer with a processor without cooling. This practice can cause damage that is far beyond repair, even when only ran for a few seconds.

If possible I would advise you to have a friend (who has good hardware knowledge) have a look over your comp if this can be done, as small mistakes can often go unnoticed.

Also, when taking your computer apart did you take proper precautions against static electricity ? Even amounts so small you don't notice them, can cause fatal damage to components.

Chris

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Removing the heatsink/fan assembly to check whether the cpu is still functioning is NOT recommended practice!! The only thing thats likely to accomplish is turning a perfectly good working cpu into a very fried cpu.

ChrisWright makes a good point - if you have a friend who is competent with PC hardware, then get him to look at it for you. If this is not an option, then you better tell us your hardware specs (i.e motherboard make/model, cpu, video etc) and we'll try to help you