Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Improper Shutdown Complications

• Please log in to reply

jromer5

jromer5

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello! Houston, I have a problem. :whistling: I borrowed my boyfriend's computer and when I was shutting down, I unplugged the power cord without realizing that the battery was not installed in the laptop thus causing an improper shutdown. I didn't think this would be a big deal but then my boyfriend called me and tells me his Quicken, Itunes, and all other files under his user profile were gone! Oooops! He immediately called his Techsupport phone number to obtain assistance through them...but of course he is left on hold for more than 45 minutes and the help they provided him with has not solved the problem.

This is what he has done so far. he has created a new user profile but was not able to copy files from the old profile into the new one. He also has tried system repair? I'm not sure what he means by this. I'm feeling relaly guilty about this problem I have caused and would appreciate any help anyone could give me......he really wants to get his files back. he ran a virus scan and it cam back clean. I am picking up the computer tomorrow to try to resolve this problem for him.

THANKS!! :blink:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If he can see the files

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP?

When you access a file or a folder in your system, you may receive an error "Access Denied", which indicates that you don't have permissions to access that folder or the file. The error is seen is after you reinstall Windows XP and try to access your old profile. If you are an Administrator (or Administrator-level User account) and want to access the contents of the folder, you can take ownership of the folder or file.

You must be logged on to the computer with an account which has administrative privileges.

If you use XP Home Edition, start the computer in safe mode and log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

For XP Professional, you need to disable Simple File Sharing in order to see the Security tab.

To disable simple file sharing:

Click Start, click My Computer.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, click the View tab.

In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box. Click OK.

To take ownership of a folder:

Right click the folder you want to take ownership of, then click properties.

Click the Security tab and click OK on the security message, (if one appears).

Click Advanced, click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.

Click OK, then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

where folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

Click OK then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

To take ownership of a file:

Right click the file you want to take ownership of, then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

Click Advanced, click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file.

jromer5

jromer5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the reply! I tried your suggestion and it appeared that everything was working. However, when I looged into the new user profile I was not able to access the files. :whistling: I realy appreaciate the quick reply!!!

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you access them with any administrator account

jromer5

jromer5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for your help! I was able to finally access the files last night. I have to manually go in after them, I assumed that once I clicked on the icon the old files would magically appear. THANK YOU!

One more problem has occured though. Windows detected an update right before I restarted to get into safe mode. Usually windows installs the update during the shutdown process. It appeared to do everything like normal except when it was done installing it did not shut itself off (reboot) It just froze and the screen turned black. After waiting for 30 minutes we unplugged it. We were able to perform the steps you previously suggested and proceed to recover the old files. This morning I tried to log on and the computer is freezing right away. It is turning into the black screen just like when it finished installing the download. Was I supposed to go back and change something last night?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

If the system ever freezes, press and hold the power button until it shuts down

jromer5

jromer5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Will this erase any of the old files? This all started before I performed the suggestions you offered to me so will this take me back to square one?

jromer5

jromer5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for your help. Since I was able to access the old files. I ended up backing them up into an external drive and then reinstalling windows. The computer no longer freezes.

THANKS!!!