Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Time For Computer Frying

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Hey geeks! I haven't been around for a while (been to college) but I'm in serious need of help!

For a week now, my computer has been doing fine. Good temperatures, all programs running normal RAM usage. Everything was peachy-keen.

Then I come home late one night, and my roomate says he was watching a DVD on my computer (which I allow him to do, as his laptop is old school and doesn't have a DVD player). As he was watching he had my noise cancelling headphones on so he brought his phone/phone charger over so he could see it. He plugged it in (the slot was dead, I failed to tell him that) and when it didn't work he went to take out the charger and the computer shut off.

He didn't want to mess with it, so he left it off until I got there. I turned it on, everything powered up (monitor, speakers, computer, everything) but there was no picture on my display. Everything has power (my video card still works as the fan runs from the card so I know it's functional) but I still have no video. One thing that also worries me is that the average running termperature of my CPU/HardDrive is about 35*C (according to my front panel LCD). However, now, the internal temps are closer to 25*-27*C, which worries me.

My dad is sending me a new DVI/VGA cable and a new power strip just to try. I really need to get my computer back up so any help would be amazing. :whistling:

My specs are listed below in my sig.

}BP{

Edited by BlackPandemic, 04 September 2006 - 11:21 PM.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Have you tried hooking the monitor up to another computer to make sure that it is functioning correctly?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
or even hooking it up to another outlet.

One thing that also worries me is that the average running termperature of my CPU/HardDrive is about 35*C (according to my front panel LCD). However, now, the internal temps are closer to 25*-27*C, which worries me.

Those are EXCELLENT temperatures. I'd worry if they got around 60*C, but those temps are absolutely fine. Don't worry about them. :whistling:

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I have to try that, been busy lately. Those ARE excellent temps however my computer never runs that cool and the fact that it's running that cool after it crapped out worries me.