Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I know what RAM will work with my laptop?

• Please log in to reply

dano2212

dano2212

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite A15-S157 laptop with 512mb of ram and 1 gig capacity. I want to add a 512mb stick, but I dont know what kind would be compatible and what company would work with my existing ram best. Thanks.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I have a Toshiba Satellite A15-S157 laptop with 512mb of ram and 1 gig capacity.  I want to add a 512mb stick, but I dont know what kind would be compatible and what company would work with my existing ram best. Thanks.

View Post

The best place I found was www.crucial.com - just plug in your motherboard or computer's specs and it will tell you what memory type you need. You could also check your owner's manual.

SandV4

SandV4

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
According to the specs on your computer I found on the net, you should be using DDR266/PC2100. Go to Newegg.Com . They have good deals and are great if you need help. Just go to the laptop memory category and select PC2100. Just remember yo MoBo maxes out at 1gb of Ram. Hope this helps.

Rikterscale

Rikterscale

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I would replace both sticks at the same time with the exact same model/serial or lot number. Don't have 2 different kinds in there please! It may cause you problems.

You can also go to www.tigerdirect.com. They have a memory configurer on there that works well. You just put in what kind of computer you have, model #, stuff like that(all from drop down menus) and it will show you what they got that will work.

Again, it may be smart to replace both sticks at the same time with the same type.

Have a good day.