Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop graphics display gone wierd

• Please log in to reply

stucuk

stucuk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi folks,

I have an Evesham Voyager X3 that has a problem with its display. When you turn it on you get certain blocks of red and stripes on the display which fluctuate as the boot up sequence progresses. When you get into Windows the display is very low resolution and has vertical lines and stripes through it.

Initially I thought it was a possible fault with the screen, loose connector or similar but I connected it up to an external monitor and get exactly the same effect on the monitor, therefore it can't be the screen. Has anybody any idea what could cause such an effect and how to resolve it. Many thanks.

Regards, Stu

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You probably need to update the video drivers. Go to your video card manufacturer's website and download and install the latest drivers for the model.

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I thought about that but video drivers are only used by the Windows operating system and these distortions appear from the very moment the laptop is turned on, literally all over the BIOS start up screen and everything from then on - even if I boot to MS-DOS - so I can't see how it can be drivers, as far as I'm aware the BIOS doesn't use 'drivers'. Thanks for the reply though.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You will probably need to take the laptop into a repair shop. The connection between the screen and the motherboard has loosened so the signals are not getting thru correctly. This is not easily repaired at home.

SRX660

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
If it was the connection between the motherboard and the screen why would the display on the seperate monitor through the VGA port be affected?? :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If the connection is loose where it connects to the motherboard it would affect a external monitor as well as the tft screen. It could possibly be corrupted drivers and i would try removing them and reinstalling them, but i really don't think that is the problem.

SRX660

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well I took the laptop apart and the VGA connector is actually soldered onto the motherboard, the connector for the screen is about a centimetre away. Both then link back, I presume, to the graphics chip on the motherboard. So I must assume that either the graphics chip and / or motherboard has failed I would think - unless anyone can tell me different??

Thanks for the responses folks.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Might be the powersupply going i suppose or a fault with the GPU either way youre going to have to possibly send it back to evesham or a repair place as you cant replace the GPU at home on most systems it might even need a new powersupply or battery.

Also try reseting bios to defaults and see about an update.

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yes I agree and having spoken to Eynsham they agree too so it has gone back to them for repair.

Thanks for all the advise though chaps.